Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Acccounts Accessed by Unknown IP Address Issue

Discussion in 'Security' started by abnet, Mar 20, 2019.

1. abnet

abnet Member

So I just found that a server seems to have been compromised. Still looking into what/how.

I've found the same foreign IP in the /home/account/.lastlogin of a couple accounts. I searched through access_logs and found the same IP had logged into all accounts all 2 seconds apart... like every two seconds logged into a different account.

How is this possible? Has to be automated... but how without Root?

Now, I'm not 100% that Root has been compromised yet... any suggestions on finding out? Can this automated login even be possible without Root?

2. abnet

abnet Member

cPanel... you take time to change my thread title, but not provide any kind of response?

How could dozens of accounts be logged into programmatically and not see a Root login in logs????

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I can't answer that for you. But I did change the title to better reflect the issue you're faced with.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @abnet

While this isn't necessarily something that cPanel will be able to assist with, in an effort to provide some direction and assistance please feel free to open a ticket using the link in my signature. Once open please reply with the Ticket ID here so that we can update this thread with the resolution once the ticket is resolved.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...