The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepting mail for when account is set for

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by CaptainHarlock, Jul 6, 2015.

1. CaptainHarlock

CaptainHarlock Registered

Sep 27, 2010
    We are migrating our website to another server but will continue to host mail on the current server, MX will continue to point to the old machine but the root domain A record and www CNAME will be pointed to the new one. and etc. will still point to the old machine.

The important question is, If I change the account domain at the WHM account level to from just, will it continue to accept mail for and not just

I'd hate to change the account's domain to a subdomain and then have everything in their CPanel interface say Though I am not sure what the fix would be in that case other than letting the old machine continue to think it is internally.

I have root access to the machine so shell and both WHM and account level CPanel.

Thanks for any help.

I should also mention that mail destined for the server is actually routed to Google/Postini first for spam filtering, then is delivered to our server. So MX actually goes to google and then google delivers to us via
    #1 CaptainHarlock, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

No, it won't continue to accept the email if the domain name is modified. You can simply leave the domain name as it is on the source server and email should still continue to function.

Thank you.