Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Access denied error every 5 minutes

Discussion in 'Database Discussion' started by GrandAdmiral, Mar 28, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiral

GrandAdmiral Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

Several weeks ago I had an error start randomly appearing in the MySQL error log

150328 8:22:19 [Warning] Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

It doesn't seem to be affecting any services and I haven't had clients complain but I'd still like to get it sorted out. The interesting part is the repetition, the errors occur every 5 minutes but regularly stops for long periods

150327 3:52:34 [Warning] Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
    150327 3:57:39 [Warning] Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
    150327 4:02:44 [Warning] Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
    (Errors stop)
    150328 4:06:39 [Warning] Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
    150328 4:11:43 [Warning] Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
    150328 4:17:03 [Warning] Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
    (Errors continue)
    150328 8:32:25 [Warning] Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
    150328 8:37:26 [Warning] Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
    150328 8:42:31 [Warning] Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
    (Errors stop)

Any ideas?

2. 24x7ss

24x7ss Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Do you have any cron that requires root mysql connections that executes every 5 mins ? I would suggest you to check crons for users including root that using root user to connect to DB/script.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, as asked in the previous post, could you check your root cron jobs or third-party scripts/plugins to verify if any are attempting to access MySQL as root?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...