The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Access denied with code 406 (phase 2). Pattern match

Discussion in 'Security' started by adg001, Jun 30, 2012.

1. adg001

adg001 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi my company has a hosting server running cpanel whm

one of my sites which has a shop keeps being blocked when i looked in the mod_security log i get the following
    this is an urgent request for help.

Access denied with code 406 (phase 2). Pattern match "(?:\\b(?:(?:type\\b\\W*?\\b(?:text\\b\\W*?\\b(?:j(?:ava)?|ecma|vb)|application\\b\\W*?\\bx-(?:java|vb))script|c(?:eek:pyparentfolder|reatetextrange)|get(?:special|parent)folder|iframe\\b.{0,100}?\\bsrc)\\b|on(?:(?:mo(?:use(?:eek:(?:ver|ut)|down|move|up)|ve)| ..." at REQUEST_FILENAME. [file "/usr/local/apache/conf/modsec2.user.conf"] [line "117"] [id "950004"] [msg "Cross-site Scripting (XSS) Attack"] [data ".cookie"] [severity "CRITICAL"] [tag "WEB_ATTACK/XSS"]

Any help would be appreciated

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If modsecurity is blocking a legit script from working properly, this tool might be useful to you:
    ConfigServer ModSecurity Control

After installing that, in the settings for it you could whitelist for that one domain (or all domains) the rule giving you problems. In this case its: 950004

HTH!

3. srpurdy

srpurdy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This will get triggered on a POST request if the data in the post consists of code like an iframe or script tag. as well as others. So basically your shop application is allowing these kinds of code to put into post requests. I would actually fix the application rather than disabling that rule, but that's your call. :)

4. d'argo

d'argo Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    based on the rule, it looks like you have an application thats generating a filename with this in the filename

.cookie

and the rule looks for .cookie in filenames, so you either need to change your application so it doesnt do that, change the rule so it doesnt look for that in the filename or use a different filename