The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Access dies. Why? And how can I find out!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by quortex, Sep 9, 2005.

1. quortex

quortex Member

Hey,

I have a set of dedicated Linux boxes. One of them is causing me problems and I think its a software issue.

Twice now the server has just stopped responding i.e. no SSH and websites and CPanel/WHM are not responding.

So the server isn't responding but it is turned on and I can't find any errors in any logs Although I could of missed something this isn't really my area of expertise. Also there are entries in the log while the server is inaccessbile. Its also definitely not a routing problem with my ISP / connection tried from multiple places.

A reboot fixes the issue. How can I find out whats going on here?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
    Mark

2. astopy

astopy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    With no logs it could be difficult to figure out what's going on. My approach would be to leave top running in SSH for a while, see if you can spot something that might be using excessive resources and causing the server to crash. If the server crashes while you're not looking (I'm not expecting you to sit and stare at top for hours :) ) you will still be able to see the last output from top, which should give you some idea of what was going on when the server died.

3. quortex

quortex Member

Problem is it barely ever happens but I am very hesitant at the moment as I am supposed to be transferring our flagship site over to the box today.