Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Access root of the server without SSH?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fictive Logics, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Fictive Logics

Fictive Logics Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My developers have messed the permission with /var folder while trying to fix magento 2 permission. Now cannot login to SSH via putty neither can i restart SSHD. its coming up with below error

Starting sshd: /var/empty/sshd must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.
    [FAILED]

As this is a AWS EC2 server with cPanel/WHM there is no console to access the server to fix the permission issue on /var folder. I am trying to FTP into the server using FTP as SFTP will not work as well but its not letting me login saying authentication failed. I know i am using the correct credentials as it can login to WHM with same details. Also FTP configuration to allow root login on FTP is on.

How can I access this server and why is FTP root login not working? Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

2. cPWilliamL

cPWilliamL cP Technical Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @Fictive Logics,

I am not sure this is recoverable without console access. I found the following thread which concluded the same:
    Cannot SSH after changing permissions in root folder

I'd recommend reaching out to AWS support.

FTP access via root has been disabled for some time now, as it's a large security risk.

Thanks,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...