The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Access sites via IP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eswiderski, Feb 25, 2008.

1. eswiderski

eswiderski Registered

Can someone explain how I can access my sites via my dedicated IP before the domains are transfered. I'm trying to move everything over from the old server before I switch the domains.

thanks!

2. the_bobara

the_bobara Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can assign dedicated IP to the new account and browse it from the dedicated IP.
    Another way is to open the account via mod_userdir (make sure you have it enabled in security center) this this address: http://server-main.ip/~cpuser/

3. AlanH

AlanH Active Member

If you're using XP, add an entry for the domain pointing to your server ip to your hosts file and it will work without doing anything special on the server.

4. tomm.tdm

tomm.tdm Registered

I have tried that on our new dedicated server but for some reason Apache re-writes the IP to something like http://www.localhost.localdomain/~cpuser/. Can somebody explain what is going on? :confused:

5. Muhammad_1

Muhammad_1 Member

I have tried http://server-main.ip/~cpuser/ (where ip is main server ip and ~user name) but i still got 404 not found on server
    i also enabled mod_userdir via security center
    any suggestion ?

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you enable "Apache mod_userdir Tweak" in WHM, you are actually restricting mod_userdir from working, so it won't work if you enable that option. You need to uncheck "Enable mod_userdir Protection" for http://IP#/~username to work.

Next, what error in /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log are you getting when you do uncheck "Enable mod_userdir Protection" option and try the url?

7. SDesign

SDesign Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello all, Ran across this thread and thought I would see if anyone has a fix for me.

All I want to be able to do is access my development site again using the dedicated IP address assigned in WHM to my VPS cPanel user. I could access the site flawlessly for the last month using just the IP address and today I woke up and it did not work anymore and nothing was changed that would have affected this. I was told by my host that I have to use /~user after the IP address to access my beta site and that accessing the site via the IP address like I have always done is the past is not possible with cPanel. Is this true?

I have many widgets with href"/page/" links that appear at different levels within the site structure and using the /~user/ to access these file links is problematic depending what category page or sub-category page a user is at.

Please let me know what can be done or what setting(s) needs to be changed to allow me to again access my development site via IP again without having to use the /~user/

8. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is this ONE site you are working on, have it's own unique IP address, separate from the server's IP? If so, yes, you can just browse to the site by IP. If you are using the SAME IP as the server's main IP, then you would need /~user.

To provide a working example, my brother has a business selling used cars here in La Crosse... you can hit it by going to either the domain name, http://neadermotors.com or by the IP address of http://72.52.251.50 and they both work fine. Notice that no /~user was needed. BUT this site has its own IP separate from the server's primary IP.

Does this help? If you could provide the actual IP address, maybe one of us could give you a second set of eyes and figure out why it's not working for you (assuming that you have a separate IP from the server's main IP)

- Scott

9. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can access the website over the IP address as long as it's a dedicated IP address assigned to your account. Check with your web hosting provider to determine if your IP address has been assigned to another account. If it has, then it's a shared IP address. An alternative is to update the hosts file on your own machine to point the domain name to the IP address of the account. This will allow you to browse the domain name from your computer without updating the DNS.

Thank you.

10. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator