The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Access to all email content of accounts under its domain

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by shawsg, Oct 24, 2012.

1. shawsg

shawsg Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    hi there,

I would like to block the administrator to view all email content. I won't be able to tweak settings to disable the function in WHM as my service is a shared one and also I heard that the symlink solution is outdated due to the new cpanel version.

Is there anything me and my service provider can do to disable this function?

Thank you!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Could you please clarify? You have a cPanel account, and have no root access to the server? You have an email address on a cPanel account that someone else manages? Unclear on what it is exactly that you're asking.

As an end user, you'd have no way to prevent root from accessing any files, including email.

3. shawsg

shawsg Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm the owner of a domain and an email hosting plan that is shared hosting so service provider can't do server wide changes that will affect their other clients.

the cPanel account is shared with a couple of admins and I want to be able to deny access to emails of others or at least make it inaccessible

I don't have root access maybe because it's a shared hosting plan after all.

Hope you understand my explanation! Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

let me add that I could ask my service provider to do any changes via root access. Just need some leads!

Thank you!

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The easy answer I think is, use POP3 and don't leave any email on server. There is no way to prevent access to email if you're sharing a cPanel account with other users. Server Administrator can make any changes server wide he likes, and it can affect all users on the server.

Even if you don't share the cPanel account (bad idea, BTW. You have no way of knowing who logged in and deleted/broke something) if you're the only user with cPanel access, root user will still always have access to everything. The only way around that, is to be root. Get your own server and share it with no one, above you that is.

5. electric

electric Well-Known Member

If the cpanel un/pw is shared between multiple people, then each of those people will have full access to the account's file system.

This means they can login (using FTP or cpanel File Manager) and navigate into the /email folder and see all the email files.

There is no way to prevent this from occuring.

The only solution is to prevent the other people from having the cpanel un/pw. If they need access to some files, then you could create an FTP user with limited access only to specific folders.