The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Access to port 25 being blocked

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Planky, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Planky

Planky Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am trying to allow our ERP (Netsuite) to use our SMTP server install to send email campaigns. However, there is something stopping it communicating with Exim. I just get an error saying Could not connect to host: timeout.

I do not see anything in the exim_main logs or messages to say Netsuite is being blocked.

I do not believe CSF is the cause, as I cleared the perm and temp bans temporarily as well as disabling the firewall has no affect. Port 25 is listed in TCP_IN under Firewall configuration.

Viewing the listening ports shows Exim is listening on port 25:

25 tcp 4/6 - 29117 mailnull /usr/sbin/exim -bd -q60m /usr/sbin/exim

I would have thought based on the above I would be able to connect from any host via telnet:25, but I immediately get connection refused.

I have another WHM server which has no problem with this and Netsuite can talk to it (and I can telnet to it on port 25).

What else would be blocking this? Something in the Exim config?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Do you notice any output to /var/log/exim_rejectlog when attempting to send email with this application? Have you verified there are no router or firewall settings on the sending server that could be restricting an outgoing connection?

Thank you.

3. Planky

Planky Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Nothing in the rejectlog. No connection attempts are seen in the logs anywhere. I cannot telnet on port 25 to the server from any location (port 25 not blocked as I can connect to other smtp servers without issue).

The app can talk to another WHM server (fresh install, no customization) and is visible in the logs (I grabbed the hostname/ip from these logs and whitelisted in CSF on the non-working server just to be sure). So I know the app is not at fault (given Telnet won't work).

4. Planky

Planky Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've reset the exim configuration back to default, with no change. Checked with provider to ensure 25 isn't blocked by them, it isn't (if it were the second WHM server wouldn't work and it does).

I've also tried running exim on port 26, adding it to TCP_IN and _OUT in the firewall config, but no dice.

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

6. Planky

Planky Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Raised ticket 5958749

7. Planky

Planky Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Turned out to be a really simple issue - Exim was only listening on the local loopback, not the external IP.

Thanks to Gary for helping me out with this.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator