The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Access_log and addon domains / subdomains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by czskittle, Mar 26, 2012.

1. czskittle

czskittle Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

when I add new addon domain to my CPanel, it automatically creates subdomain example-net.example.com. My question is:

- when somebody visits example.net/folder/, will it be stored in access_log for subdomain "example-net.example.com" as "/folder/"?
    - when somebody visits example-net.example.com/folder/, will it be stored in the same access_log also as "/folder/"?

Thanks!

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is the addon domain name example.net for this example? If so, then /home/username/public_html/example.net/folder accesses would appear under the subdomain logs at /usr/local/apache/domlogs/example-net.example.com location (if that is the subdomain).

3. czskittle

czskittle Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Yes, example.net is the addon domain. So both accesses (example.net/folder/ and example-net.example.com/folder/) will appear under the subdomain log example-net.example.com as /folder/, right?

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    They will both appear in the Apache domlogs under the subdomain as that access. Here are example entries on my own server:

Above the addon domain is cpfoo.foo (I have this testing non-existing domain pointed to my server by the /etc/hosts file on my system to allow me to view it in a browser) with the subdomain cpfoo.daniellewallace.com and both accesses are on the folder named folder.

5. czskittle

czskittle Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks, Tristan. One more (and - I hope -last) question:

When there are no hits during specific month, does CPanel create monthly log archive with no data? It looks like when there are no hits no monthly archive is created, right? Is it possible that in the past monthly archive log was created for EVERY subdomain EVERY month (and it didn't matter if there were any hits)?

#5 czskittle, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012