Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

access_log scanning security

Discussion in 'Security' started by bsasninja, Sep 20, 2007.

1. bsasninja

bsasninja Well-Known Member

Yesterday looking at access_log file at /etc/httpd/logs I found a ip address (that I blocked after this) trying a lot of server folders for example

cgi-bin/
    cgi-sys/
    nessus/
    system/

etc, etc. Its a server scanning, Is there a way to prevent this kind of things with a firewall rule or software? Most of the commands were blocked by mod_Security and others directly gave 404 error cause they dont exist.
    Also at access log sometimes appears /~user/ folders, like they are accessing using servername and user to see things. Do you recommend to disable ~ access ? Cause sometimes users use this when domains are not correctly propagated.

All of this seems that is done using port 80 scanning. But I would like to know a method to block lammers from scanning servers and prevent bandwidth consumption.

Thanks

2. bin_asc

bin_asc Well-Known Member

I got that too on all my servers, but I just blocked the ip in the firewall.