Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Accessing a user's FTP account with ROOT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mkelly09, Mar 13, 2005.

1. mkelly09

mkelly09 Registered

Hello,

I am trying to login to a client's FTP account but it seems they have changed their password since first signing up with us. I am programming part of his website, and i feel that it is unprofessional to simply email him and ask him for the password.

What i want to know is is there any possible w ay to login using a master password? Note that i can access his CPANEL(by logging into WHM and viewing his account, then clicking on his little cpanel icon) and of course i could use the web based FTP included with CPanel but i would rather use my program on my desktop, especially since im programming his site and i will be doing some modifications..

I have already tried using:

oursite.com
    hisusername
    rootpassword

and

oursite.com
    rootusername
    rootpassword

and

oursite.com
    ourusername
    rootpassword

Is there something else i need to try? or is this not possible? Thanks in advance for any help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    use sfpt with ssh

or just create a temp ftp account in your clients ftp manager and give yourself full access then delete it when done

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yup, I'd go with the temporary FTP account that dalem suggests. What you're trying to do (logging in with alternative passwords) will not work.

4. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem with asking a client for the password of their account, it's simply how the password system works, there's no way you could know it, unless you run a password cracker on it and it was easy to guess.

I'd ask the password and explain how secure shadow passwords are, if you must use ftp to access.

#4 DigitalN, Mar 13, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2005