The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessing a user's FTP account with ROOT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mkelly09, Mar 13, 2005.

1. mkelly09

mkelly09 Registered

Hello,

I am trying to login to a client's FTP account but it seems they have changed their password since first signing up with us. I am programming part of his website, and i feel that it is unprofessional to simply email him and ask him for the password.

What i want to know is is there any possible w ay to login using a master password? Note that i can access his CPANEL(by logging into WHM and viewing his account, then clicking on his little cpanel icon) and of course i could use the web based FTP included with CPanel but i would rather use my program on my desktop, especially since im programming his site and i will be doing some modifications..

I have already tried using:

oursite.com
    hisusername
    rootpassword

and

oursite.com
    rootusername
    rootpassword

and

oursite.com
    ourusername
    rootpassword

Is there something else i need to try? or is this not possible? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    use sfpt with ssh

or just create a temp ftp account in your clients ftp manager and give yourself full access then delete it when done

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yup, I'd go with the temporary FTP account that dalem suggests. What you're trying to do (logging in with alternative passwords) will not work.

4. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem with asking a client for the password of their account, it's simply how the password system works, there's no way you could know it, unless you run a password cracker on it and it was easy to guess.

I'd ask the password and explain how secure shadow passwords are, if you must use ftp to access.

#4 DigitalN, Mar 13, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2005