The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessing account with 2FA enabled if phone is lost

Discussion in 'Security' started by menathor, Apr 5, 2016.

1. menathor

menathor Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi guys,

I'd like to enable 2FA on my WHM / cpanel on my VPS, however I can't find any information in the documentation or forums re: what would happen if my phone was lost or stolen. Most sites (eg. Google, Amazon, Microsoft etc) which allow enabling 2FA provide a backup option such as a code or SMS in the event the device is lost.

Is there any similar option with cpanel / WHM's 2FA, or would I be unable to access my account if something happens to my phone?

Cheers

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You could take a screenshot of your QR code or print the secret key that's provided when initially enabling two-factor authentication on an account. Or, you could consider implementing an external authentication solution. EX:

Guide to External Authentication - OpenID Connect - Software Development Kit - cPanel Documentation

Examples that demonstrate other methods (e.g. Google, Facebook, Amazon) are available in the "/usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Security/Authn/Provider/" directory with the .sample file extension. For example, if you copy "Google.pm.sample" to "Google.pm", Google becomes an available option and a link to further instructions from Google is displayed:

OpenID Connect

Note that cPanel version 56 will display these providers by default.

Thank you.