The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessing Phpmyadmin without WHM login?

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by devGOD, Jan 12, 2007.

1. devGOD

devGOD Well-Known Member

is it possible to grant access to PHPMyadmin without having to give access to cpanel/whm? Or possibly set multiple user/pass for access.

2. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

I *really* need to know this, too. Anyone have any ideas?

Right now, I have a client who want someone else to manage the DBs & website. Creating an FTP account for web files access is easy, but I have no clue how to give access to PHPMyAdmin without handing over the keys to the entire cPanel account for that user.

There's gotta be a way...

Matt

3. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

I found another thread the briefly mentioned in response to a completely different issue that you can upload a copy of phpmyadmin to an individual cPanel user's site & configure it to bypass the WHM login.

I'm gonna go down that road a bit & see where it leads. If anyone else knows more about the issue, though, it might save me a ton of time...

Matt

4. Blaze_SCN

Blaze_SCN Active Member

you could add a user manually through mysqladmin from your root account in WHM
    once you have added a user make them a DB then just download phpmyadmin from the official website install it on your website somewhere, it will ask for user/pass if it isnt filled in via the config file

5. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for responding Blaze_SCN! I've made it that far, but when I attempt to access the new upload of phpmyadmin, I get an error that says "#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) "

I'm attempting to use the Setup Wizard to create my config file, but I'm lost as to what exactly to put into the "server setup" page. It seems that no matter what I put in, I still get the same error message (yes, I've downloaded & uploaded the config file to the "config" directory the initial setup instructions told me to create & make world writable).

I'm still hacking at it. If you (or someone else) feels this is something you can help with, let me know & I'll give more specifics so you can tell me what I need to do. Otherwise, I'm just hoping I'll figure it out soon.

Thanks!
    Matt

6. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

Nevermind for now... I'm getting closer. Just had to understand the manual a bit better. Let me hack on it some more on my own for a bit.

I'll keep you posted...

Matt

7. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

I'm almost there!

I've now got access to the user's database through the new install pf phpMyAdmin (version 2.10.0.2) & it looks like it's going to work okay...

... but there are two warnings/errors at the bottom of the phpMyAdmin main page after logging in:

1) The mbstring PHP extension was not found and you seem to be using a multibyte charset. Without the mbstring extension phpMyAdmin is unable to split strings correctly and it may result in unexpected results.
    2) Cannot load mcrypt extension. Please check your PHP configuration.

I do *not* get these same errors when logging into phpMyAdmin (version 2.9.0.2) via WHM, so my guess is that WHM is picking up a different php.ini file, or else it's running PHP differently somehow so as to include support for these two extensions.

How do I get these extensions to be recognized by the new install of phpMyAdmin?

Thanks!
    Matt

8. Blaze_SCN

Blaze_SCN Active Member

Make a file with the following:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

then it should show where the configuration file is, make sure the extentions are not commented out in the php.ini file with ;

have you tried manually enabling these two extentions from WHM?
    if not id try this first.
    Log into WHM as root go down to Apache Update and select the two extentions from there

9. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

Well, my client gave up on me & switched to a different Web host. He's probably better off there if he's going to be doing database stuff since I obviously need more time to get this figured out. :)

I haven't made that PHP file you mentioned, nor do I know where exactly in WHM the setting are that you're talking about.

I guess what I want to stress is that I have no errors, etc. from the PHPMyAdmin control panel that's accessible from within WHM--only through the separately installed copy installed in the user's own public_html directory.

Other issues the client had after my posts regarded his reported ability to connect to the database using Dreamweaver, but not having access to see any of the tables he already created in PHPMyAdmin (even though his account had full rights).

In any case, I'm sure this is all simple to a lot of you, but it's a bit too much for me. I think I'll stick to small-time sites where all they need is a basic site & some spam filtering. :)

Nonetheless, Blaze, I really appreciate your help!

Matt

10. akmon

akmon Registered

phpMyAdmin for a single DB on cPanel

Hello,

it works for me like that:

download the phpMyAdmin file, from web site, config the file, and login with user/password from the website DB.

EX. Website :bnetzone.ro
    Application who use the database is under one directory in the website directory tree:ex. www/bhost

cd /home/bnetzone/www/bhost/
    ls
    vim config.php
    cd /home/bnetzone/www/bhost/
    ls
    tar -zxvf phpMyAdmin-3.0.0-rc2-all-languages.tar.gz
    ls
    mv phpMyAdmin-3.0.0-rc2-all-languages phpMyadmin
    ls
    cd phpMyAdmin-3.0.0-rc2-all-languages.tar.gz
    cd phpMyadmin/
    ls
    vim config.sample.inc.php
    cp config.sample.inc.php config.inc.php
    vim config.inc.php
    exit

there is my config.inc.php file :

*/
    $cfg['blowfish_secret'] = 'whatever'; /* YOU MUST FILL IN THIS FOR COOKIE AUTH! */

/*
    * Servers configuration
    */
    $i = 0;

/*
    * First server
    */

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';
    /* Server parameters */
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress'] = false;
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['database'] = 'client_database-name';
    /* Select mysqli if your server has it */
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysql';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser'] = 'database_user;
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass'] = 'database_password';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['pmadb'] = 'phpmyadmin';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['bookmarktable'] = 'pma_bookmark';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['relation'] = 'pma_relation';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['table_info'] = 'pma_table_info';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['table_coords'] = 'pma_table_coords';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['pdf_pages'] = 'pma_pdf_pages';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['column_info'] = 'pma_column_info';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['history'] = 'pma_history';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['designer_coords'] = 'pma_designer_coords';

then you just go to
    http://www.bnetzone.ro/bhost/phpMyadmin/ insert user pass and phpMyAdmin is opening only the client databes.

Best Regards
    Akmon