The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessing Root Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andy14d, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Andy14d

Andy14d Registered

I have just got myself a server with WHM etc and my hosts have more or less just left me to it. :eek: I have completely no idea how to access and install things on the root of the server.

At this point all I want to do is install GD library but have no idea how to upload it or actually run it for install.

Sorry complete server newbie :confused:

2. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of cPanel.

My first piece of advise is to start and get familiar with the search function of these forums. Most of your question will have been asked and answered before especially the GD issue. Always come back and ask if you are unable to find what you are looking for in the search results.
    Good luck.

:)

3. Andy14d

Andy14d Registered

Izzy -

Thanks for responding but my issue is not installing it really I know what I'm supposed to do:

cd /usr/local/src/
    tar -zxpf gd-2.0.33.tar.gz
    cd gd-2.0.33
    ./configure '--with-jpeg=/usr/local'
    '--with-png=/usr/local''--with-zlib-dir=/usr/local'
    make
    make install

That may seem simple to most on here but I have no idea what I'm doing remember this is like getting a new Hi Fi or something with no instructions on how to actually access the root.

How do I use cd /usr/local/src/

What is cd?

Where am I supposed to put the tar of the GD library to prepare for install. Sorry but as I said I'm seriously clueless here, my site is too busy for shared hosting so I'm told get a server as they kept taking it down, now i have one and no idea how to run it. :eek:

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    My suggestion to you would be to get someone to manage the server for you. Either hire someone or get the company that supplied it to you to manage it for you. Personally they left you in a bad state since you are not familiar with Linux administration (which you need to know) in order to maintain it.

5. Andy14d

Andy14d Registered

Yeah this is what I thought, I explained to them that I was clueless and this was supposedly fine. But now that I have the server its kinda like well we have your money now piss off.

So basically I have this entire server I have no idea how to use. :mad:

6. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

As dgbaker suggested, you need to hire someone to help you with your server. If you can get your money back from this compnay, you can find a different company that will administer your server either FREE of charge or for a minimal monthly fees.