The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

accidentally chown root directory to another name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by airdee, Jan 19, 2014.

1. airdee

airdee Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I'm linux newbie. I accidentally chown root (/) to another name and websites are now offline. I managed to bring all files and directory to "root" ownership recursively and /home accounts were also changed to their respective ownership name.

After doing all these, the websites are still offline. I assumed not all system files ownership is named as root. My question is, is there a way to revert back (perhaps a linux command) the system files to their default ownership?

I desperately need help. I searched google and no answer so far about about my case.

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    if all you did is chown newname.newname /

then run
    chown root.root /

& run /scripts/chownpublichtmls

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It sounds like you changed ownership for all files/directories on your system. While you may find some manual commands that you can run to help resolve the issue, it's really a better idea to install a new OS and complete a new installation of cPanel. Then, restore the accounts on the new server from backup, or by using the transfer option in Web Host Manager if you have no previous backups available.

Thank you.