The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Account Copied from a Dedicated IP to a Shared IP and SSL Certificate Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by enahs, Apr 28, 2014.

1. enahs

enahs Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have searched and didn't find any answers that were any time recent and if I did I may not have fully understood the answer.

Anyway, my scenarios is I have an account on another cPanel server that has a dedicated IP address just for the one account. This was so it could have an SSL certificate installed specific for that domain. I have since had to migrate all of my accounts to a server which does not allow for additional static IP addresses so I have to rely on utilizing a shared SSL scenario. After migrating I can see that specifically in the account it will tell you to use https://domain.com/~<account name> but that does not work. The browser just spins and finally times out. I also see that in my WHM under "Managed SSL Hosts" the certificate shows up as "Currently the shared SSL certificate is: domain.com". Under the "Installed SSL Hosts" it shows the domain that the certificate is truly setup for and under the "IP Address Type" it states "shared". Under "Needs SNI?" it states "No".

I have no idea what I am doing wrong but nothing I am doing will make this domain.com work when utilizing SSL. Whether I put a tilde after the URL or not it will not work.

Can someone possibly shed some light as to what I am doing wrong? I am only keeping the other $100/month server for this one account. All other accounts do not require SSL therefore have been migrated successfully.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Dedicated IP addresses are no longer required for SSL certificates as long as you are using an OS that supports SNI (CentOS/RHEL 6). You can install a certificate on an account that's assigned a shared IP address assuming your server supports SNI.

Thank you.

3. enahs

enahs Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I understand that, my post is stating that I cannot get it to function correctly. Right now it looks like everything is configured correctly but if I go to the website using https it does not work. The browser times out. All browsers and all latest versions.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my, never mind, I don't know what the problem was a while back but after just deleting the account and copying it back again it works. My current issue was very simple and slap to my face. I did not realize that HTTPS was not setup on Azure. I thought I had done this a while back...maybe I did and removed it...donno. Either way it works now.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. idt

idt Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry to bump this topic, but I have the same case as the OP but with a twist. As per the answer it seems we would not have problem also since we are using CentOS. My question is this. What happens if, aside from the copied domain/account that already has an SSL from the previous server, we would also want one more domain to have an SSL certificate? Do we need to just buy the "Protect One Website" for the new domain or do we need the "Multiple Domains UCC" from godaddy? Thanks!

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Assuming you are using CentOS 6, then you can purchase an individual single certificate for the additional domain name. The domain names can be on the same account, or on different accounts. SNI allows you to install separate certificates for domain names on the same IP address.

Thank you.