The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

account creation status: failed missing host config line in /etc/wwwacct.conf

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jjchristophe, Apr 3, 2015.

1. jjchristophe

jjchristophe Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is my first time to use cPanel as administrator. I understood at some point that, in order to create databases, I previously had to create a new account.
    When I did so, I received the following message:

account creation status: failed missing host config line in /etc/wwwacct.conf, please reconfigure with edit setup.

I am under Windows 7 and I don't have access to this file.
    I went through various threads but none are really helpful. It seems one way is to edit the file, which I should be able to do through ssh. But I am pretty sure I should not need to do that.
    The guide for account creation does not really list the prequesite. I guessed by myself that I had to set a package, but this did not solve the issue.
    I also found that I may have to set the new user's home directory (in Basic cPanel & WHM setup) to /home, but it's already the case.
    I also fond that I may have to change the Hostname, but it's currently set to our cPanel domain and I don't want to mess it up with whatever unrelated name, especially that I am not sure of the possible consequences.
    I am very confused about what is the best solution to solve this issue and would be very thankful to have some advices.

Edit:

I ssh to the server, and I can't find /etc/wwacct.conf...
    /etc/wwacct.conf does not appear anywhere...

#1 jjchristophe, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One way to resolve the problem is to SSH to your server, with root privileges. Modify /etc/wwwacct.conf directly by adding:

HOST srv1.example.com

to the top of the file. Replace srv1.example.com with the actual hostname of the server. The hostname is a unique name that identifies your server. It can contain your domain name.

3. jjchristophe

jjchristophe Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    /etc/wwwacct.conf does not appear anywhere, thus I can't edit it.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Are you sure that you logged in via SSH as "root"? If so, have you deleted or moved any files within the /etc/ directory in the past? If so, you may need to restore those files from any backups you have of the directory.

Thank you.