Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

account creation status: failed missing host config line in /etc/wwwacct.conf

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jjchristophe, Apr 3, 2015.

1. jjchristophe

jjchristophe Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is my first time to use cPanel as administrator. I understood at some point that, in order to create databases, I previously had to create a new account.
    When I did so, I received the following message:

account creation status: failed missing host config line in /etc/wwwacct.conf, please reconfigure with edit setup.

I am under Windows 7 and I don't have access to this file.
    I went through various threads but none are really helpful. It seems one way is to edit the file, which I should be able to do through ssh. But I am pretty sure I should not need to do that.
    The guide for account creation does not really list the prequesite. I guessed by myself that I had to set a package, but this did not solve the issue.
    I also found that I may have to set the new user's home directory (in Basic cPanel & WHM setup) to /home, but it's already the case.
    I also fond that I may have to change the Hostname, but it's currently set to our cPanel domain and I don't want to mess it up with whatever unrelated name, especially that I am not sure of the possible consequences.
    I am very confused about what is the best solution to solve this issue and would be very thankful to have some advices.

Edit:

I ssh to the server, and I can't find /etc/wwacct.conf...
    /etc/wwacct.conf does not appear anywhere...

#1 jjchristophe, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One way to resolve the problem is to SSH to your server, with root privileges. Modify /etc/wwwacct.conf directly by adding:

HOST srv1.example.com

to the top of the file. Replace srv1.example.com with the actual hostname of the server. The hostname is a unique name that identifies your server. It can contain your domain name.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jjchristophe

jjchristophe Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    /etc/wwwacct.conf does not appear anywhere, thus I can't edit it.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Are you sure that you logged in via SSH as "root"? If so, have you deleted or moved any files within the /etc/ directory in the past? If so, you may need to restore those files from any backups you have of the directory.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...