The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Account for "hostname" domain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by digitalfire, Nov 18, 2004.

1. digitalfire

digitalfire Member

Hi,

This is possibly a very stupid question, but I couldn't find an answer by searching or reading the manual (maybe I'm just blind :cool: ). I've obviously got a server running cPanel, let's say the hostname is X.com

I've logged into WHM (as root) to create to extra accounts (as resellers) - let's call them Y.com and Z.com - and then I login to cPanel with those accounts and I can modify their settings or create other accounts etc.

What I can't do, is manage my "hostname" domain (what the actual IP of the box resolves to), because I can't log into cPanel as "root" (ie: invalid login), and I don't know of any other username to use. I've tried looking through the "list accounts" and "modify accounts", "parked domains" etc and the only time I see any mention of any domain(s)/account(s) other than Y.com and Z.com (reseller accounts), is on the "Show Active and Inactive Accounts" which lists "fedoracpanel" and X (where X is the username for my "X.com" domain) and Y (where Y is the username for my Y.com domain) - all three are "active".

I tried logging into cPanel with the username "fedoracpanel" and using my root password, but it doesn't work. I can't "create" my hostname as an account, because I get "You cannot setup a domain that is the same as the servers hostname" when I try to.

I'm using:
    WHM 9.9.8 cPanel 9.9.8-R119
    Fedora i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

All I want to do, is manage my e-mail (and website) for my "hostname" domain... is that so much to ask? :P

Help would be appreciated! thanks....

#1 digitalfire, Nov 18, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  2. digitalfire

digitalfire Member

Following the advice in my provider's Knowledge Base, I did the following:

Assuming my domain was X.com - as in the above example, I've changed my hostname to "whm.X.com"... leaving me with

in WHM. heh.

What fun. Time to make a phone call to their support line, I think.

3. digitalfire

digitalfire Member

Okay, the license issue resolved itself (or my provider's psychic).

Moral of the story, don't set your hostname == domain name, otherwise you can't create an accoun and setup your e-mail and site?

:)