Account Home directories permissions keep resetting

Jared Long

Sep 19, 2014
Pflugerville, Texas, United States
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Cpanel friends,

I have a situation in which the permissions on the directories of the website owners is being changed such that they become unable to upload files for their website. These permissions are usually fixed VIA SSH to the console of the server and a chmod to their home directory and all its contents.

My question is:
What is the mechanism that could be causing this?
A google search returns a number of forum posts with similar questions, but many of them have gone unanswered.
I am hoping that someone can offer a few places that I might be able to look to find the source of the permissions changing in such an unpredictable manner.

Regards,
-JL

Jared Long

Sep 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Do you have an example of the directories you can mention here? Are you speaking of directories of a CMS for example, where a user uploads an addon of some sort and then has this issue?
It appears to change the permissions for all the public_html directories to "750".
The client has been installing Wordpress from the Cpanel console for a number of the users but not all.

Honestly, there seems to be no pattern to when this occurs.
is there any information from the server I could look into to at least rule out some of the possibilities?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

You will likely want to use suPHP as your PHP handler to ensure files uploaded through the script are owned by the account username. Permission/ownership changes are typically not required when using suPHP:

suPHP Considerations

Thank you.

Jared Long

Sep 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thank you, I much appreciate the insight into potential fix for the problem. I would still, if at all possible, like to understand the machinations that are causing the issue with permissions in the first place.
As it stands, this is the chain of events:

users are unable to upload to their public_html directory.
Chmod 777 to allow the user to work.
some time passes
all public_html files are set to 750

We have decided to set the Cpanel updates to manual only to try and rule it out as the potential cause of the permissions resetting.

we are still waiting to see the results.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
A cPanel update will not change the permissions of all files within the public_html directory. Are you sure it's all files and not the public_html directory itself? Keep in mind that using 0777 permissions is often a security risk to your account.

Thank you.