The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Account level filtering by "from" field alias

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by JustinH, Nov 11, 2011.

1. JustinH

JustinH Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am trying to stop a lot of spam we are getting. I have been setting up some account level filters but there isn't a consistent word or phrase in the subject or body. It seems spam is entering the words like "penis" and "enlargement" to the alias of the email address (I.E. PENIS ENLARGEMENTS <someone@somewhere.com>). Now when I try to filter that in the "From" field it doesnt catch as its not the actual email address that I am trying to block (because that changes every time) but the alias that is beore the email, but the filter doesnt seem to like to catch it. Any thoughts on how to go about this?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Those are two very basic words that any mail scanner would be picking up I would think. In another thread by you, you've mentioned your host uses barracuda. I would suggest you check with them as to why these are not being blocked.

Just out of curiosity what do you have set here in your cPanel:

cPanel > Mail section > Set Default Address

3. JustinH

JustinH Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    "cPanel > Mail section > Set Default Address " - I don't see this. Once under the mail section I get all the icons for different email areas.

As for barracuda, we are trying to see if just using the account level filtering would help without having to pay for barracuda. And I those keywords are easily picked up from the body or subject, but for some reason I cant get anything to filter in the "from" field. I tried making a test filter to filter "test@localhost" and did the test and it delivers normal (see screen shots). We may have to just go the barracuda route, but its only one email address on my boss' iPhone that gets all the spam and it would be great to find a way to do it without spending more money. Thanks for the help.

Picture 2.png
    Picture 3.png
    Picture 5.png

Attached Files:

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That's not a cPanel theme, so your host is the only one that can help here.

Also, your host should provide some sort of basic spam filtering. If not, tell your boss to find a better host for his email. ;)