The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Account linked with root?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by digitalfiz, Feb 11, 2008.

1. digitalfiz

digitalfiz Member

My Setup:

Code:
    WHM 11.15.0 cPanel 11.18.0-S20595
    CENTOS Enterprise 5 i686 on standard - WHM X v3.1.0
    I am having a weird problem so i will try and explain it :P

First off here is the problem. I have an account "df" which is for the domain digital-focus.us and for some reason it is linked to the root account. When I change the root password it changes and when I change its password it changes roots. Now this is a fairly new install of cpanel and I only have 8 accounts on it that are setup and working properly. The only thing I can figure went wrong is when I was playing with ownership. I was doing to make a reseller account for my businesses personal ventures to keep track of them better so I made a spoofed domain and I made the owner of digital-focus.us(df) that new reseller. Then decided I really didnt want to overload this particular server with client and moved "df" back to root just like all the rest and deleted that spoofed reseller account. Now they are linked and I think they are linked fully because I can no longer ssh in via "df" with any password I set and I think remote root login is disabled no? Can someone help me with this? Now all accounts are working fine accept the "df" account but they are all set root for the owner. Is there something I can check to see what might be causing it?

2. digitalfiz

digitalfiz Member

No one can help on this one?

3. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Did you check and see if the domain does have reseller privileges? if not check /etc/passwd is it 0:0 ?

4. digitalfiz

digitalfiz Member

df:x:32006:32008::/home/df:/bin/bash

Is what /etc/passwd has in it. I'm not very familiar with cpanel so I don't really know what else to check. Anything else to check?

5. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

The user ID you listed does not grant root privileges. Could you possibly be having a cookie or session issue with your browser? I would delete old sessions from tmp/ and clean out the browser sessions and files as well. You might find things working ok after that.

Also updating to the latest version wouldn't hurt /scripts/upcp or force it just to be sure /scripts/upcp --force

6. digitalfiz

digitalfiz Member

I know its not a caching issue because the problems are via ssh too not just the whm web panel itself and its same problem on multiple computers. I'll try the script update to see if that helps. After updating what would be my next step?

Sorry for my lag in responding and thank you for all your help.

7. digitalfiz

digitalfiz Member

I FIXED IT!

Man that was weird. I tried to change the password in cpanel not WHM for "df" account and it said failed because old password might be different in the passwd file. SO I ssh'd in as root and changed the df password via passwd and then logged into cpanel and changed it and it worked. Now df is no longer linked to root. What a weird problem wish I had paid more attention to what I was doing to make it happen so the cpanel developers could fix the quark.

Anyways thank you jayh38 for all your help.