The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

account migration with dns cluster

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by MACscr, Oct 23, 2008.

1. MACscr

MACscr Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I about to transfer a large amount of clients to new servers and am looking for advice on the best way to migrate/transfer them to new servers with minimal downtime. We have a cpanel dns only cluster setup, so that will help a bit since the nameservers will never change. Obviously IP's will still be changed and that takes a while to propagate (depending on isp). Im more just worried about mail delivery. I swear i saw that when doing a cpanel transfer, it setup domain on the old server in /etc/remotedomains and removed it from /etc/localdomains. Since im running a dns cluster, i dont need to check the box to "point domain to new server from old server" or something like that, correct?

Just looking for advice. Thanks!

2. MACscr

MACscr Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Id really appreciate it if someone could help me out here.

3. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Since DNS will change on the dns cluster, mail should be delivered to the new server as soon as you restore the accounts on the new server. However, if by any chance, any mails end up on the old server, you still can give your clients email access on old server using.

http://a.b.c.d/webmail

where a.b.c.d is old server's IP. You can later rsync mail folders, though that may be a problem for such a large number of accounts. One advice always for cPanel transfers, try to make packages as small as possible by moving large folders like old backups, mail, tmp folders etc out of /home/username and then rsyncing them later.

#3 JawadArshad, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  4. MACscr

MACscr Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A smooth migrations is where the clients dont even notice. Im pretty interested in having this part answered:

5. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I am not sure about that if you need to check the option while transferring on the same cluster, however checking this option should not cause a problem.

6. JayLevine

JayLevine Active Member

Hello,

I've used this script twice now. It works very well.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=65905

I also run these commands 2 days before move, on the old server (YMMV, please understand before running):

Code:
    		cd /var/named
    		perl -pi.bak -e "s/14400/300/g" *.db
    		/etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart
    Changing the default TTL of 14400 to 300 seconds so that the DNS changes happen more quickly.

Right before I start the move I do this stuff to turn off email, FTP & cPanel access on OLD server:

Code:
    service chkservd stop
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/exim stop
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/pure-ftpd stop;/scripts/ckillall -9 pure-ftpd;/scripts/ckillall -9 pure-authd;/etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd stop;
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/cpanel stop

Jay