The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Account restores from /home directory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by purplepaws, Mar 2, 2006.

1. purplepaws

purplepaws Well-Known Member

Hi,

I've had a serious problem with a CentOS server running the latest RELEASE of cPanel/WHM having been hacked into. As I write this the datacenter are in the process of installing CentOS onto a new hard drive along with cPanel ready to restore it.

Whether related or not, I have just been told that the backup IDE drive in the same server is dead, which is where the regular cPanel backups were being stored! Whilst it appears that the data on the main drive is intact, it is obviously in /home/username directories, and not in a format that I can restore via cPanel. I'm concerned about the time it would take to create accounts manually, especially if I can't see the mysql / email configuration that the account had previously.

The NOC are going to install the old primary HDD as slave, so that the data can be accessed from the new install, but I need help with how to proceed. My options as I see them are:

a) If there is a way I can restore FROM home directories and/or the filesystem, or;
    b) If a normal cPanel backup script could be modified to manually do a "nightly" cPanel backup to back up the accounts from the old drive so we could restore them, or;
    c) If anyone can think of another way to get me out of this mess!

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. If there is a way for it to be done I'm prepared to pay to get it fixed if someone can get back to me quickly who can handle it!

Thanks,

Rupert

2. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

3. purplepaws

purplepaws Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Hi Ramprage,

Thank you very very very very much! That saved my bacon, and I hadn't found it on my previous searches, but is definitely one for the bookmarks.

Thanks again,

Rupert

4. inspedium

inspedium Member

I have a similar problem. Just that mine is a bit more complex as the entire /etc is gone.

Is there any way I can restore accounts?