The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

account transfer blocked from old hosting provider?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yorgokastri, Feb 29, 2012.

1. yorgokastri

yorgokastri Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Is this Posiible? Can the old provider block the account transfer?

I must ask for your opinion on my problem..

although i have transfered already dozens of accounts from my old provider, I cant anymore! Is it possible that the old provider has forbiden access or transfering?
    I still have access as reseller to the cpanel of each account that has not expired yet on the old server an my new server is a whm that i administrate..

here is the error message i get
    " Trying to fetch cpmove file via cPanel XML-API!
    (internal error) Wed Feb 29 11:02:26 2012 [13884] error: Can't locate object method "tid" via package "threads" (perhaps you forgot to load "threads"?) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/XSLoader.pm line 94.
    at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/XSLoader.pm line 94
    eval {...} called at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/XSLoader.pm line 94
    XSLoader::load('Net::SSLeay', 1.45) called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/Net/SSLeay.pm line 629
    eval {...} called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/Net/SSLeay.pm line 631
    require Net/SSLeay.pm called at /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/getremotecpmove line 108
    main::fetch_acct_by_cpanel('user', 'manicoun', 'host', 94.75.210.135, 'domain', '', 'pass', '__HIDDEN__', 'part', ...) called at /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/getremotecpmove line 60
    Fetching current backups from remote server......0 backups found...Done
    Starting the backup...Done
    Waiting for backup to start...Done
    Checking remote server for backups.....0 backups found.
    Failed to start the backup on the remote machine (if a previous backup is in progress you will need to wait until it is complete)!
    (Trace information follows for backup start request)...
    /xml-api/cpanel?xmlin=<cpanelaction><apiversion>1</apiversion><module>Fileman</module><func>fullbackup</func></cpanelaction>

(Trace information follows for initial backups)...

(Trace information follows for backups after request started)...

Failed to fetch cpmove file via cPanel XML-API.
    Terminating because fallback to ftp+cgi was not enabled."

thanxs in advance

2. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's better if you check this with your old host provider.

3. yorgokastri

yorgokastri Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    thank you for your replies. I contacted the old hosting provider and it seems he did it on purpose! He denies to enable this feature, somehow he has blocked it. His answer was that we should take backup copies ourselft download them and reinstall them!

Is this legal? Can the old hosting provider do that? What actions can I take?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You'll have to generate backups manually. It's his server he can do what he wants.

Good call moving away to a new host.

5. yorgokastri

yorgokastri Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    that is the reason he dit it! because we recently moved to our dedicated server.. we had transfered easily sites from our cpanel and suddently it stoped because the old provider decided to give us a hard time!. There should be some professional ethics system about this...
    thank you all for your replies so far

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, if the server was overloaded for example and already being taxed by normal users and you came in during the middle of the day and:

... were killing the server for all other users on it with the backups being generated for your moves, you might make it tough not to want to stop you from doing so.

7. yorgokastri

yorgokastri Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    thank you for your reply

the dozens of transfers we did where not in one day! I meant that we had transfered dozens of sites for some weeks now! ( each time an account was to expire on the old server we transfered it!)
    I both contacted my new hosting provider an was informed that the new server is 100% ok
    And today i contacted the old one asking why this feauture was stoped from him with no reply but that i could manualy make my backups...

thats the issue! its sad!!and pathetic.

8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Have you considered using the "Backup" icon within the account's cPanel on the source server? This will allow you to generate a full backup of the account, which you can then restore on the destination server. It may take a little more work on your end, but you would still be able to transfer the accounts.

Thank you.

9. yorgokastri

yorgokastri Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    yes thank you ! i am investigating all options. It sure was much easier though whm tranfer account option, but as Nietzsche said “Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich starker.” (That which does not kill me, makes me stronger.)

#9 yorgokastri, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  10. yorgokastri

yorgokastri Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I have been trying to use the remote ftp server tranfer option by generating a full buck up on the old server, but after many attemps nothing is ever transfered to my new server.

Here are the steps I take , some advice would be great!

1. I create a new account on my new whm server and I create a ftp account
    ( I call new account as newsitecom
    and the ftp user is ex. ftp@newsite.com)
    2. I go to the old server were the website is still hosted and select backup --> generate full buck up --> remote ftp server tranfer
    3. I enter my email address to be notified of the copletion of the backup
    4. Remote Server: --> i give my new servers IP
    5. Remote User: I enter the new account ftp user name ( as stated above "ftp@newsite.com" )
    6. Remote Password: I enter the password I entered for my new accounts ftp password
    7. Port: I use port 21
    8. Remote Dir: I enter the directory as given in my new accounts ftp setting ex home/newsitecom/puplic_html

i get notified by email of the completion of the transfer and I see no error but at the end is
    "Can't call method "login" on an undefined value at /usr/local/cpanel/bin/ftpput line 29."

Also after cheking the new server account nothing is there no back up file I also checked with ssh if there was any file in /home , but nothing.

Am I doing something wrong? Or can this option also have been blocked from my old hosting provider.?

thank you again for your time reading this....

#10 yorgokastri, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  11. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This should be the root directory ( / ) in this case, since the ftp account cannot cwd to /home/newsitecom etc.

if you are using the cpanel account to transfer, only then it would be the full path.

Yup, I too think this is the safest option since you're dealing with a hostile host.

Download the Backup, send it to your New Host, let them restore it. It will be a longish process, but will be foolproof.

12. yorgokastri

yorgokastri Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Well this is my final reply to the topic, thank you all for you time and information you shared. Concluding I must share this story.

After all the discussion here I contacted my old host and he assured me ( can I trust him I dont know! ) that he has not blocked anything nor does he prevent my transfering to my new server.

I informed my new server administrator and after a sequense of tickets and replies were they said i should check cpanel versions ftp authentication keys!!! etc etc. ...wich we did and everything was by the book!!...

this is the good part....

They gave me a link to see that should prove that its not their issue and that my old provider blocked me...the link was nothingelse but this forum post!!!!

So now my question here became the "Truth" and an alibi for those admins and providers that cant or wont find the solution.

So finally I did not get an official ( from my two hosting providers the old and the new ) and well explained answer , why I cant anymore transfer accounts with my dedicated whm server option " Transfers " Transfer account with password option, although this worked for some 6 weeks and I had already transfered dozens of accounts ( one per day ).

For anyone having a similar situation this is what i do now to transfer my accounts.

I generate a full backup on the old server ( were the website still is ) download it and upload it to my dedicated server.

Then in short ...with ssh i restore it.

#12 yorgokastri, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  13. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    haha. Good to know that.

BTW maybe some cpanel staff maybe able to clarify whether there is a way to block out the transfer account option or not.

Even I had faced a similar problem with a transfer, but that was probably because the old server was 2 versions old: running 11.30. i didnt dig too deep into the issue since it was an SOS transfer, but it would be interesting to know that, since as Infopro pointed out, it could kill a server with high load.