The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Account transfer enquiries

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProLamer, May 16, 2006.

1. ProLamer

ProLamer Active Member

Dear all,

Just want to confirm, i have a server with mail conversion done. Am i able to transfer one of the account out to another server without the mail conversion? Will it cause some error due to the different format of mail system?

Thank you.

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

The transfer process will convert mbox mailboxes to maildir where relevant but it won't, I don't think, convert the other way.

So if you're moving accounts from an mbox server to a maildir server everything should be fine.

If you're moving from a maildir server to mbox, you're going to run into troubles.

The best option would be to contact cPanel support and see what they say. I've only ever transferred accounts from an mbox server to a maildir and haven't tried the other way.

Since /scripts/convert2maildir relies on it's own backups to change back from maildir to mbox instead of merely reading maildir data and writing it back in mbox format, I imagine that the process is not straightforwardly reversible.

3. ProLamer

ProLamer Active Member

Thank you for your reply.

anyone else encounter similar problem?