Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Account Transfer + Restore = wrong domain owner

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Bryan Minihan, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Bryan Minihan

Bryan Minihan Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We're running CloudLinux 7.4 and cPanel 11.68, envtype = xen hvm

On one of our heavily-populated servers (call it Server1), we recently converted several addon domains (from an account called, let's say, Account1) into new accounts (five of them, call them Account2-Account6)
    Then, we built a new server (using the above specs, call it Server2), and transferred all five accounts to the new server.
    Then, Server1 died, catastrophically, while upgrading it to CloudLinux.
    In order to recover Server1, I had to build a new server (call it Server1+).
    The only backup I had was before the 5 new accounts were created, so I restored Account1 onto Server1+

Now, on Server2, I have 5 new accounts called Account2, Account3, Account4, Account5 and Account6.

I also have, on Server1+, Account1 which contains the domains from Account2-Account6

All 5 domains "ping" properly to Server2
    When I log into any of the new accounts on Server2, I can manage files and settings for Account2-6
    However, when I click "Zone Editor" on Server2, I only see MX records for the 5 new accounts.

I checked several /var/cpanel and /etc/userdomains, etc files on both servers, to find out why I can't edit the DNS zones on the new server (Server2), and can no longer see the domains on Server1+.

I checked /var/named on both servers (they share in a DNS cluster), and the DNS zone files are correct and identical on both, except on Server1+ the hostname line says hostname:server1plus, whereas on Server2 the hostname line says hostname:server2

How can I tell Server2 that it's able to edit the DNS zone record for Account2-6, and tell Server1+ that it's no longer able to edit the records for Account2-6?

I considered deleting the domain, entirely, from both servers, but since Account2 (for instance) is tied directly to one of the faulty domain names, its domain will be incorrect, once I remove it, and I don't know how to re-attach the domain back to the account's main domain, if that makes any sense.

I apologize for the confusion, but can provide any other information you need.

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I think it is better if you can raise a ticket to the cPanel support of hire a professional system administrator who will investigate the cause of the issue and then report it to you...

3. Bryan Minihan

Bryan Minihan Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I appreciate that, but both servers are up and running fine, now.

I just need to know how to get the new server to be recognized as the "owner" of the DNS records for the duplicated accounts on the old server.

In a WHM DNS cluster, is there some file that tells each server which one owns which domain?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The DNS zones that were updated most recently will take precedence if duplicate DNS zones exist on multiple servers in the same DNS cluster. Generally, the best approach to solve this issue is to temporarily disable clustering on the server with the old restored DNS zones, remove the DNS zones from that server, and then enable clustering again.

Thank you.