The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Account transfer Script nukes custom MX

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dragon2611, May 5, 2008.

1. dragon2611

dragon2611 Well-Known Member

not sure if this is a bug or intended but I've noticed that if you transfer an account from one cpanel/whm server to another one the Transfer script will Change the MX entry in DNS for that account to the new server address even if the previous MX entry was for an external mail service.

It's caused a couple problems for accounts that were configured to use Google apps/ Live Mail rather than the local mailserver.

2. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As far as I know this stuff just isn't transferred when you copy an account, because it rebuilds the DNS zone from scratch on the new server. This is done because the IP addresses will have changed on the new server, but it's a pity they haven't worked out a smarter way to do it. (Mind you, that's not trivial, which is why it hasn't been done I suspect).

3. dragon2611

dragon2611 Well-Known Member

Can they not simply READ the MX record from the old server and then check to see if it matches the domain if it does rebuild it if it doesnt just copy it.