The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Account Transfer SSH Error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RSCChris, Apr 26, 2009.

1. RSCChris

RSCChris Active Member

Hey All,

I have two identical servers as far as base config. It's been a year or so since I last transferred any new accounts. Tried to do it on one server today and I keep getting this error. I tried it with several servers and all failed. I can connect TO the error server fine, but I can't connect from it to other machines via the transfer utility. I can connect to the other servers directly via SSH. Any thoughts on this? And before anyone asks and tries to point out the obvious, the password is correct. Thanks.

- Chris

----------------------------
    Generating Account Information from Remote Server
    Fetching Domain Information... The password you provided is not correct.

Trace Output: (warning: Unrecognized configuration parameter userknownhostsfile

ssh: FATAL: Illegal -o parameter "UserKnownHostsFile /dev/null"

sshcmdpermissiondeny)

Done

2. RSCChris

RSCChris Active Member

One more thing to mention. Both machines are running latest CURRENT build.

3. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. RSCChris

RSCChris Active Member

Yes, I posted on the SL forum. I've been busy so just getting around to this again.

I reinstalled SSH w/OpenSSL, upgraded to EDGE, downgraded to RELEASE, and nothing fixes the problem. I can ssh out from the terminal using the -o userknownhostsfile without a problem, it just fails when trying to do a transfer from within WHM. Does cPanel use a separate SSH install for account transfers that could be corrupted?

- Chris

5. Computerbob

Computerbob Active Member

This problem is still there. But I have figure out how to get around it.

It turns out that it's is a known issue with WHM but cPanel hasn't gotten it fix yet. I have the same problem with WHMCS and cpanel password's. WHMCS told me that it know by cPanel.

The issue is cPanel and WHM can't deal with a password that has a special character in it link &,%, $ and so on. It's something with their API.

I had this same problem trying to transfer accounts between servers. One was a newly created machine and one was real old. Once I figure out what was happening I change the password on the machine the accounts would be coming from to a password with just letters and numbers and it worked just fine.

I would like to see cPanel fix this ASAP. We instruct all our user to use special characters in their passwords. But with WHMCS you can't.

So if you run into this again try changing the password with special character and try the transfer again. Then change the root password back.

6. caroyy

caroyy Registered
    PartnerNOC

i took out that option in /scripts/sshcontrol to temporary bypass this problem.

If you read carefully on the error, its actually trying to create a file or insert smthing to /dev/null.

so on /scripts/sshcontrol, i took out "-o","UserKnownHostsFile /dev/null" on line 65,

my(@CMDARGS) = ("-o","UserKnownHostsFile /dev/null","-o","StrictHostKeyChecking no");

Hope this helps those whose having problem with copy account from another server.

If not, if you want easier fix, open a ticket with Cpanel support, they are always there for us. :D

Cheers,
    Roy