The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Account transfer - turn off SSL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by krisdv, Jan 8, 2009.

1. krisdv

krisdv Well-Known Member

What does it do exactly? What's the difference between SSL on or off during transfer? Thanks in advance.

2. xuser

xuser Member

Yep. I would like to know about this as well?
    Anybody :eek:

3. Doug E

Doug E Well-Known Member

I'd like to know too in case I have to do another transfer. I was unable to find any documentation about this in the cpanel docs.

I clicked the turn it off only cuz it sounded high tech with the "cPanel 11.23.6+ required on both ends" bit.

The allow override bit is a mystery too, as at this time the link to its explanation doesn't seem to go to the right place.

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Disable SSL: this disables SSL during communication between two cPanel servers. It can provide a slight speedup to the transfer process as it removes the encryption overhead.

Allow Override: as reported this link is currently broken. We should have it fixed shortly. This option allows you to provide your own pkgacct script to be used during the transfer process. No support is provided for custom pkgacct scripts. However I will discuss some ways to use it during my Transfers presentation at this year's cPanel Conference.

5. Doug E

Doug E Well-Known Member

Thats funny I was going to put a ticket in for that last night, or did I? hehe. My heads spinning the last few days.

6. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

It allows for faster account transfers at the expense of security.

Basically it disables the encryption between your servers so that you can accelerate the transfers between your old and new servers.

If you are not as concerned about the slight possibility that someone may possibly intercept your client data during account transfers, you can use this option to make the transfers go faster.

Personally, I prefer to leave SSL on but then I do focus a bit more on security.