The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Account unable to download e-mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by brianc, Jan 7, 2004.

1. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

Hi all:

Hopefully someone here can give me some insight on a problem that I cannot figure out. First a history and then the description of the problem:

History:

Setup a new account. The admin username for this account is cchau. The person who was using cchau@somedomain.com started having problems with not receiving all of his e-mail. I notice that the admin mail account for other clients have not been the most stable. So I figured I would just create a standalone POP 3 account for this person, so now instead of his username being just cchau it will now be cchau@somedomain.com. So now all mail sent to cchau@somedomain.com would be routed to this mailbox and the rest of the mail that did not have a valid recipient would go to the catchall admin account cchau.

Problem:
    Here is the problem. This user can login to his mailbox with no problem but Outlook is telling him there is no mail when that is not the case. If you use webmail and login with the username of cchau@somedomain.com and its password, you can see that this person has mail on the server. However when you try to login with cchau@somedomain.com as the username and its password in Outlook, it says no new messages.

I can duplicate the problem on my end but it affects no other mailbox under this account nor does it affect any other user on the server.

Could someone please assist me in finding out what is causing this problem? I would surely appreciate it. Thanks!

Puritan Hope

2. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

Try deleting .cppop.cache.msgs and perhaps also .cppop.cache. in the user's directory.

3. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

That did it.

Thanks JamesBond!

That did it. Why would that file prevent Outlook from downloading the mail? Just curious.

Appreciate your assistance.

Brian_C

4. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

It's a bug in cpanel which has not been fixed yet.

5. NickJ

NickJ Member

Hello,

The only customers who experience this problem are people who configure their mail clients to leave email on the server for a certain period of time. At some point the message count stops being tracked in the cppop files so the mail client thinks there is no new mail.
    Remove those .cppop.cache and .cppop.cache.msgs files and reconfigure your email account.
    This will help you to fix the issie.

#5 NickJ, Sep 15, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2005