The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

acct copy failed leaving a big mess

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vicos, Jan 31, 2012.

1. vicos

vicos Well-Known Member

Hi,

I was copying a domain from one server to another using the WHM transfer account feature.

Sadly, the database was too large for the new server; /var filled up as the database restore was underway.

I was forced to kill the process that was doing the SQL restore. The transfer process did not gracefully exit after that and I had to kill all of the processes.

From here I stopped mysql and deleted a few of the huge table files manually from /var/lib/mysql just so I could get the other domains back online.

WHM shows the transferred account in the account list, but with NO IP ASSIGNED.

At this point how can I gracefully clean up this mess? Can I just use WHM to remove the account or will this create a bigger mess? What if I want to add or remove other domains while the failed account is still present, will this cause problems?

2. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would completely delete the cPanel account and manually upload all of the files to the new server. I would also you a Database editor such as Navicat to dump the sql database to your desktop, and then recreate the database and move on to execute the new sql into the new database. This is going to be your best bet in this case.

3. vicos

vicos Well-Known Member

That's the real question...is it safe to use WHM to delete the account. The transfer process never completed successfully, so I'm not sure if WHM is smart enough not to destroy something in the process of removing the account.

For example:

1) No Ip was assigned, so I assumed it never got around to adding the domain to the Apache config. So, when it tries to remove the domain form Apache and can't find it, will it barf?

2) The mysql database for the account is obviously no good -- I manually deleted two table and index files after all. Is WHM going to barf when it tries to remove this corrupt database?

4. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It will not barf sort to speak. I would simply delete the account and go from there.

If you really want to be safe, add an ip to the account with the change ip function and then delete it, it should not make a difference.

5. vicos

vicos Well-Known Member

Good news everyone. WHM removed the corrupted account with no observable problems.