The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accuracy of SpamAssassin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canned_Heat, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Canned_Heat

Canned_Heat Member

I am considering turning on the cPanel spam filter and have a basic question.

How accurate is the filter? I am not so much concerned about the percentage of geniune spam collected - eliminatinvg 50% is better than nothing.

My BIG concern is its accuracy in wrongly labeling good mail as spam. I don't need stats, just a general idea: is it highly accurate in that it rarely or never accidentally deletes good email, or is it innacurate and is known to toss out good email all the time?

Would appreciate feedback.

CH

2. FriedEgg

FriedEgg Active Member

I find it very accurate. Once you get enough mail (100 good aka "ham" / 100 spam), it'll turn on the Bayesian filter which makes it even more accurate. You can adjust the spam score threshold to a level you're comfortable with. Most people run in the 5-8 range with pretty good success.

Also, there's no reason it has to delete mail. It can move mail to a spam folder or simply mark it as spam so your email client can handle it.

3. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

You can customize every portion of it. So it's really up to you. By default, it's not bad..and you can have the mail go to the "spambox" and that way you can keep an eye on it to make sure it's not deleting good mail.