The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add a custom link to your Cpanel menu

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glassjoe, Jun 12, 2004.

1. glassjoe

glassjoe Registered

I'm not sure if this would be called an "addon", a "module", or something else. All I want to do is create a custom link in my Cpanel menu that points to a PHPBB forum I set up.

This should just be a link that launches a URL in a new window. Nothing too complicated. (I hope.)

How can I add this custom button/link to the default Cpanel user interface?

Thanks.

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

You want to customize a cpanel skin. The skins are located in /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/[skinname].

The complication is, if a cpanel update includes any skin changes, your modification will be overwritten.

You could copy (clone) a skin and give it a name of your own, then modify it and it will not get over-written, but then you will need to keep it up to date with additions or changes to the existing ones.

If you don't have access to the skins directory, you will have to ask your hosting provider if they will help.

3. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

Or, put it in whm/cpanel news. That's what I did, being lazy and not wanting yet another set of stuff to update every time there is a new version published.

You can put html in the news; I use a table with a logo on one side and several links on the other.

Bill

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

That sounds like a better, and safer, method for just adding something to it. Nice suggestion. :)

5. glassjoe

glassjoe Registered

Cool. Thanks for the ideas!