The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add a Link in C-Panel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by profpixel, Feb 19, 2004.

1. profpixel

profpixel Member

Hi All,
    I was wondering if it is possible to add a link/button to the C-Panel interface?

If so can anyone give me any info on how to do this?

Thanks in advance
    Profpixel

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

You want to customize a cpanel skin. The skins are located in /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/[skinname].

The complication is, if a cpanel update includes any skin changes, your modification will be overwritten.

You could copy (clone) a skin and give it a name of your own, then modify it and it will not get over-written, but then you will need to keep it up to date with additions or changes to the existing ones.

3. profpixel

profpixel Member

Hi Squirrel,
    Thanks for your reply.

I think my host doesn't give me access to that folder =(

I am trying to link my back-end admin (for my ecommerce solution) and C-panel.

I think I will either put them both into a frame page with a top nav or I have found that in the WHM news feature you can enter HTML code.

This way I could add a button/menu/link to the top of each C-Panel linking to my back-end.

Probably go for the first idea tho....Thanks for your reply!
    Profpixel :cool:

4. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

Email them and ask if they will upload a skin you made - if they will copy the x skin and add your link :)

5. profpixel

profpixel Member

Hey nybble,
    Thanks for the idea. I will ask em but I won't hold my breath!

I guess it is easy to add a link in a skin? I will look through the forum for that.

nybble+squirrel?!

What a strange forum lol

Thanks
    profpixel

6. PWSowner

How I decided on my username...
    Don't read if not curious.

About 3 years ago I had a lot of stuff going on in my life and was so stressed out that I couldn't relax and take it easy. I was one of those who had to do everything himself and therefore never had time to just relax. One day I was sitting in the driveway fixing my car and suddenly a squirrel walked right past me. For a few seconds my mind was actually off work. Later I had to go in to get another tool and decided to bring out a peanut. Another squirrel came by who had more patience than me. I held the peanut out for several minutes, then decided I have to get back to work so I tossed it to him.

Next thing I knew, I was taking time every day feeding squirrels and then realised that I wasn't stressed out so much and was getting less stress headaches. Squirrels taught me there's more to life than work. :D

Boring I know, but nobody has to read this, even though it's too late now. LOL

7. SuperBaby

SuperBaby Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Twitter:
    How I decided on my username...
    Read even if not curious.

In year 1994 I was 64kg. Now I am 81kg.

8. profpixel

profpixel Member

Thanks for sharing...
    :)

9. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

I think even with the frame method you will still need access to the skin files so you can edit the main page.

10. profpixel

profpixel Member

Hey Squirrel,
    Sorry I was being sarcastic about the posting after yours, your story didn't show up when I made my last post...That is a neat story...

Getting the balance between work and the rest is a tricky one...I often think that doing it right is just a question of balancing everything...

A friend of mine in London has a huge pear tree in his back garden that is full of squirrels...grey ones...they seem pretty happy there!

Well anyways

I have been thinking more on my C-panel thing...Infact I just want to give access to the email functions...The rest is not needed for my solution....Could I for example copy the pages relating to email in C-panel and include them in my skeleton folder. That way each new account would have the relevent pages included in their install??

I guess I would have to do some re-coding but would that be a possible solution?

Thanks again!
    Profpixel

11. PWSowner

You need to use a custom skin to do what you want. As an end user, the only way is to ask your provider if they will either:

- clone a skin, put it in your root directory, and symlink to it, for you to use

or

- let you make a custom skin, add it to the skin directory, and change your account to it