Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Add a Link in C-Panel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by profpixel, Feb 19, 2004.

1. profpixel

profpixel Member

Hi All,
    I was wondering if it is possible to add a link/button to the C-Panel interface?

If so can anyone give me any info on how to do this?

Thanks in advance
    Profpixel

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

You want to customize a cpanel skin. The skins are located in /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/[skinname].

The complication is, if a cpanel update includes any skin changes, your modification will be overwritten.

You could copy (clone) a skin and give it a name of your own, then modify it and it will not get over-written, but then you will need to keep it up to date with additions or changes to the existing ones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. profpixel

profpixel Member

Hi Squirrel,
    Thanks for your reply.

I think my host doesn't give me access to that folder =(

I am trying to link my back-end admin (for my ecommerce solution) and C-panel.

I think I will either put them both into a frame page with a top nav or I have found that in the WHM news feature you can enter HTML code.

This way I could add a button/menu/link to the top of each C-Panel linking to my back-end.

Probably go for the first idea tho....Thanks for your reply!
    Profpixel :cool:

4. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

Email them and ask if they will upload a skin you made - if they will copy the x skin and add your link :)

5. profpixel

profpixel Member

Hey nybble,
    Thanks for the idea. I will ask em but I won't hold my breath!

I guess it is easy to add a link in a skin? I will look through the forum for that.

nybble+squirrel?!

What a strange forum lol

Thanks
    profpixel

6. PWSowner

How I decided on my username...
    Don't read if not curious.

About 3 years ago I had a lot of stuff going on in my life and was so stressed out that I couldn't relax and take it easy. I was one of those who had to do everything himself and therefore never had time to just relax. One day I was sitting in the driveway fixing my car and suddenly a squirrel walked right past me. For a few seconds my mind was actually off work. Later I had to go in to get another tool and decided to bring out a peanut. Another squirrel came by who had more patience than me. I held the peanut out for several minutes, then decided I have to get back to work so I tossed it to him.

Next thing I knew, I was taking time every day feeding squirrels and then realised that I wasn't stressed out so much and was getting less stress headaches. Squirrels taught me there's more to life than work. :D

Boring I know, but nobody has to read this, even though it's too late now. LOL

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. SuperBaby

SuperBaby Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Twitter:
    How I decided on my username...
    Read even if not curious.

In year 1994 I was 64kg. Now I am 81kg.

8. profpixel

profpixel Member

Thanks for sharing...
    :)

9. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

I think even with the frame method you will still need access to the skin files so you can edit the main page.

10. profpixel

profpixel Member

Hey Squirrel,
    Sorry I was being sarcastic about the posting after yours, your story didn't show up when I made my last post...That is a neat story...

Getting the balance between work and the rest is a tricky one...I often think that doing it right is just a question of balancing everything...

A friend of mine in London has a huge pear tree in his back garden that is full of squirrels...grey ones...they seem pretty happy there!

Well anyways

I have been thinking more on my C-panel thing...Infact I just want to give access to the email functions...The rest is not needed for my solution....Could I for example copy the pages relating to email in C-panel and include them in my skeleton folder. That way each new account would have the relevent pages included in their install??

I guess I would have to do some re-coding but would that be a possible solution?

Thanks again!
    Profpixel

11. PWSowner

You need to use a custom skin to do what you want. As an end user, the only way is to ask your provider if they will either:

- clone a skin, put it in your root directory, and symlink to it, for you to use

or

- let you make a custom skin, add it to the skin directory, and change your account to it