The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add a new server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buskerud, Nov 4, 2008.

1. buskerud

buskerud Member

Aug 23, 2006

I have been running one server for two years now.

I have just setup s new server, but I'm a bit confused how to do this.

Old server

I want to add the new server under the same domain name, but how do I setup the new server to work with the old server ??

2. markb14391

markb14391 Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Just set up cPanel DNS clustering. Optionally, add separate DNS servers using the free cPanel DNS Only product.

I currently have two dedicated servers split into VPSs for cPanel hosting as follows:

Dedicated Server #1
    VPS1: cPanel hosting:
    VPS2: cPanel DNS Only:

Dedicated Server #2
    VPS1: cPanel hosting:
    VPS2: cPanel DNS Only:

I have it set so that each cPanel hosting installation syncs with ns1, then ns1 syncs with ns2.

The DNS Only setup was a bit of a pain to set up, but once it's up it seems to be a nice thing. I point all my hosting accounts to and, so if I need to move an account from one box to the other it's an easy thing.

If you don't want to mess with the separate DNS installations, just set up clustering between your two servers.

However, I guess you could do it without clustering. Even though both servers will have a hostname under the same domain, the actual cPanel account for that domain can only be on one server. So just make sure that the zone for that domain also includes an A entry for the other hostname, and also make sure that the appropriate A entry exists on the other host. But I would set up clustering if you're expanding to multiple servers.

Just my .08 worth.