The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add a secondary DNS non cpanel

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by jsniper, Mar 19, 2006.

1. jsniper

jsniper Member

I own a server that has one static IP address and is setup as dsn1.markandjoe.com

I am using godaddy for all of my domains by the way. Godaddy wants 2 dns servers whenever you create a website but since I only have one ip address I can only use my server as one of the dns entries. I am trying to use a free secondary dns service at www.twisted4life.com but I don't think the master/slave transfer is working.

Please advise as to what I need to add to any files such as named.conf or whatever.

I've been adding allow-transfer {202.157.185.115; }; in the named.conf file to several lines but I'm not sure what I'm doing to tell you the truth. That ip address is the secondary dns server which is also NS1.TWISTED4LIFE.COM.

I used to pay for cpanel website hosting so I know what my old hosting company's dns server is. I have been using one of my old hosting company's dns server URL whenever I add a new site in my godaddy account even though their dns server has nothing to do with my own but I have to put something there or else I can't get past that step since I need 2 dns servers. I notice that sometimes www.mysite.com says "page cannot be displayed" but if I refresh it finally comes up and then always comes up after that one time of not coming up. I think this might be due to the dns I used in godaddy that I just mentioned. Everytime I create a new subdomain, the 1st time I load that page of the new subdomain it cannot be displayed and then I have to refresh it and it works fine after that.

One other thing I noticed was that on all of my sites hosted on this cpanel server of mine, if you use the www the page cannot be displayed. but if you do not use www, the page comes up fine.

Please advise.

#1 jsniper, Mar 19, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  2. djmerlyn

djmerlyn Well-Known Member

You should ask godaddy for some nameservers to use... Or ask for another IP I suppose...

Typically datacenters provide you with a set of nameservers you can use... I haven't bumped into one that doesn't...though, never done a dime of business with godaddy...

3. jsniper

jsniper Member

The problem would be when creating subdomains, how would my dns provider know about these changes? My server has to be the primary dns but I need a slave dns too which is what I am basically asking about here.

Thanks

#3 jsniper, Mar 20, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  4. djmerlyn

djmerlyn Well-Known Member

I guess you would have to ask your DNS provider :confused:

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Subdomains aren't a problem as they're simply modifications to the zone file and would be dealt with by normal DNS master/slave communication. For information on how to setup a DNS master/slave relationship there are many guides on th internet, e.g.:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html