Add additional special FTP users.

totbar

Registered
Feb 10, 2011
I have a client that cannot send upload via SFTP which is the default port and the only one accessible when you create a user outside of cPanel through the stanard linux command line. I am running Centos 5+. Like I said, I created a new user with the useradd bash command but that user is only allowed SFTP access. I tried creating the user inside of cPanel but I am forced to put a domain on the end of the username: [email protected]. Again, I have a client with an upload script but for some reason adding the domain breaks the clients script. In cPanel > FTP accounts there is a normal user list and a special user list. All of the special users are able to use FTP regularly. I can't find a way to add more users to that list. I read on this website that users cannot be removed from the list but nothing on whether or not more can be added to it. Does anyone know what I can do? Even if not through cPanel, is there a way to allow a normal user, not created in cPanel, access to standard FTP? Thanks.

faisikhan

Dec 12, 2011
Islamabad, Pakistan
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi totbar,

If you want to add regular users on a server having no cpanel to access the FTP server, I am assuming VSFTP(Very Secure FTP) so please follow the below steps:
1. You can install vsftp with yum as yum install vsftpd
2. In your vsftpd.conf, deny anonymous users access for security: anonymous_enable=NO
3. Add a group for ftp users groupadd abc
4. Make a shared directory mkdir /home/abcdocs & give it the group abc permissions only chown root:apple /home /appdocs /* and also run that command too chmod 750 /home /appdocs /*
5. Create an FTP user as useradd –g apple –d /home /appdocs myfirstftpuser
6. Give the FTP user a good password passwd myfirstftpuser
7. Now access your files and create more users in the above way & access the files using Filezilla client :)