The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add "compress emails" option in v58 for mdbox mailboxes.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jandafields, Jun 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I made this a "feature request", but it was declined after 5 days. I don't know why, because it seems like a great feature... and it is already built into Dovecot. All you have to do is change a line in docevot conf and it works perfectly. I am suggesting that the option be put into tweak settings to make it official.

Here it is, let me know if you all think this is a good feature or not. I already use it successfully:

The Dovecot "mdbox" mailbox format is officially supported starting in cPanel v58, in "Tweak Settings" (and can even be enabled per email address if desired).

The mdbox mailbox format supports email compression, although that is not a settable option through cPanel. Dovecot does all the work, all you have to do is turn on the option in the exim config.

Using compression, you can save significant server space because most email is just text which is easily compressed.

I have been using this email compression on my cpanel server with v58, as a test, and it is working perfect. I only had to modify the "exim.conf.localopts" file to add the compression options... and it just simply works. The end users see absolutely no change because the emails are compressed/uncompressed by the dovecot server on the fly as needed.

Making this an official option through the exim settings in the whm gui would be a great idea... and I cannot think of any disadvantages to it.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you resubmit this request and post the URL to the pending feature request here?

Thank you.

3. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. cPanelBenny

cPanelBenny Community Manager, Development, dog scratcher
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi there! Your request was declined due to your lack of response to my email trying to clarify your request a bit. Can you please confirm that the email address you have associated with your user is up to date and current? Too, can you search for an email with a subject of "Feature request clarification", sent on June 9th and reply there? Thanks!

5. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I do not see that email from June 9. I resubmitted the feature request as a new request, and made a few corrections to it as well. This is the new request: Add option to compress mdbox in v58+

6. cPanelBenny

cPanelBenny Community Manager, Development, dog scratcher
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Thank you for that. I did see it in the moderation queue, and it appears that you addressed my concerns in your corrections. I've opened it up for discussion!