The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add Domain Not Using DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by owine, Jan 15, 2007.

1. owine

owine Active Member

Is there a way to add a domain to cPanel that will not be using the server for it's DNS hosting? I ask this because I have some user that use services like afraid.org to manage their own DNS and having cPanel add DNS zones can cause some issues. Is there a way to tell cPanel it will not be managing DNS for a domain?

Thanks

2. bibink

bibink Member

Its not possible to exclude a single domain from being added to the named server. The entry will be added by default and it can be of no harm even if the dns is managed outside the server.
    As an alternative you may first add the domain and then delete the dns zone if you really dont want to keep it there :)

3. yapluka

yapluka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Don't delete the zone otherwise the domain won't show up anymore on your account list and the site won't work.
    What you need to do is just edit the DNS file and replace your default DNS with the afraid.org ones.

4. Murtaza_t

Murtaza_t Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    You can just change the Name Servers of the domain at the registrar to use the DNS of afraid.org.. thats it.

5. owine

owine Active Member

The problem that has arisen is the users domain, let's call it owine.net, is hosted at afraid.org for dns. He has this domain as his domain on his cPanel account. WHM has created a DNS zone in bind for owine.net and when the user trys to use any owine.net domain on my server, the lookup fails because the local server does not have the correct entries. How can I avoid this? Can WHM somehow serve as the backup DNS for the domain and be told to look at the afraid servers?

I have tried changing all IN NS to the afraid.org servers but it still does not work. The dig command on the local box returns 0.0.0.0. Any ideas?

6. Murtaza_t

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am sorry to say this but you have ZERO knowledge of DNS and do not understand the concept of DNS.

From all you have said here, I understand that you want owine.net to use the DNS at afraid.org and not the DNS on your server which WHM has created. For this, you need to:

1. Change the Name servers of owine.net to that of afraid.org, say ns1.afraid.org & and ns2.afraid.org, at the registrar where the domain is registered.

2. Modify the DNS Zone of owine.net at afraid.org to point the A record & MX record to your server.

Once the above is setup you can just deleted the owine.net.db from your server and owine.net will still work.

I hope you now understand how would that work..!!!

7. owine

owine Active Member

I have a limited knowledge of DNS but I believe the problem is my explanation of the issue. Deleting the zone, according to yapluka, is not a good idea. I do have step 1 already in order from your suggestion. From this point I will use the domain kaffeinenet.com as that is the domain with the issues if you feel the need to do some lookups for yourself.

The domain kaffeinenet.com is in cPanel and therefore is in bind. cPanel expects the domain to be pointed to the nameservers associated with cPanel however it is using afraid.org for its DNS hosting. There are some scripts that call hostnames of kaffeinenet.com and are therefore using the local DNS server for lookups. This is where the problem is. Correct DNS entries are not stored on the local server, they are stored on afraid.org. Here is an example using dig on the local server:

Code:
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;rocky.nj.us.kaffeinenet.com.               IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    rocky.nj.us.kaffeinenet.com.        14400   IN      A       0.0.0.0

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    rocky.nj.us.kaffeinenet.com.        86400   IN      NS      ns2.afraid.org.
    rocky.nj.us.kaffeinenet.com.        86400   IN      NS      ns3.afraid.org.
    rocky.nj.us.kaffeinenet.com.        86400   IN      NS      ns4.afraid.org.
    rocky.nj.us.kaffeinenet.com.        86400   IN      NS      ns1.afraid.org.

I am simply looking for a way to tell WHM or bind not to look locally for the DNS entries but to look at the afraid.org servers. I thought changing the IN NS entries would do this but the problem persists. Any help is appreciated.

8. Murtaza_t

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I suppose that you are trying to dig rocky.nj.us.kaffeinenet.com on your server which is a subdomain on kaffeinenet.com. Hence you will need an A entry of that subdomain in the DNS of afraid.org.

rocky.nj.us.kaffeinenet.com IN A 123.123.123.123

You will need to add A entries at afraid.org every time to add a subdomain.
    Hope that helps.

9. owine

owine Active Member

Yes, there is an A entry at afraid.org. A dig using any other DNS server (4.2.2.2 for example) returns the correct IP but a dig at the local server does not.

10. kentec

kentec Registered

I'm also trying to delete the dns zones for domains, as the whm box is not the registered dns server for most of them, but it is a dns server for some customers, so it's out of sync with reality for those domains.

So far it looks like a bug in WHM that deleting a dns zone breaks the domain. I found a workaround in another post, specifically to edit /var/cpanel/users/username and change the XDNS1=yourdomain.com line to DNS=yourdomain.com and then run /scripts/updateuserdomains. That got the domains working again (accounts show up in cpanel once again, and email works).

I don't see an existing bug report for this; I'll probably file one, but still looking.

11. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This must be something that cropped up relatively recently. At least I have older domains setup in this manner where this error never occured. I setup 3 domains with remote DNS last week and ran into the XDNS1=yourdomain.com vs. DNS=yourdomain.com