Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED Add domain to cPanel DNSONLY

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by hcraig, Aug 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hcraig

hcraig Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a feeling I know the answer to this question, but it's just a guess so I'm going to ask the stupid question anyway because I've already invested a lot of time and energy reading and researching, none of which revealed anything explicit that would address my question.

I installed cPanel DNSONLY on a fresh server. Everything works, so no whining here about it not working and error messages.

However, I don't see "Add domain" or "Import domains" menu options anywhere. Have I misunderstood what "cPanel DNSONLY" does? All I want is a ... ahem ... "DNS only" control panel to run a nameserver. I don't need it hooked up in any way to another server with a control panel.

Craig

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes I think you misunderstood
    the DNS only server is to run cpanel's clustered DNS so you would need at least one cpanel/whm server to sync with it.

if you just need a a standalone DNS server I would recommend just installing PowerDNS and the
    the poweradmin web GUI

Note: the cpanel DNS has PowerDNS as an option so you could probably install it on top of the cpanel DNS But I do not really see the benefit of it wasting servers resources to run the cpanel back end which you will never use.

3. hcraig

hcraig Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Dalem,

Thanks. Well, that was a waste of a day and a half of my time. A poor decision on my part made based on a poor selection of a name for a product -- perhaps it should be renamed "DNSONLY for cPanel", or "DNSONLY only for cPanel" :) -- and the lack of an explicit statement in an obvious place at the beginning of the documentation.

Thanks for the suggestion of the PowerDNS and Poweradmin combo. I was headed in that direction when I remembered reading about DNSONLY a while ago, and when I saw that PowerDNS was an option I dove right in. Looks aren't everything, but it's unfortunate that Poweradmin looks like it was hacked together over a caffeine-fuelled weekend of coding.

Craig

4. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes Poweradmin its not pretty But it works we use a clustered setup for Reverse PTR

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You could technically use cPanel DNS-Only on it's own to host the DNS for a domain name. You'd just need to manually create and edit the DNS zones in the /var/named/ directory and then rebuild the DNS configuration file with the following command:

Code:
    /scripts/rebuilddnsconfig
    However, note that it's primarily intended for use with other cPanel hosting servers as part of a DNS cluster.

Thank you.

6. hcraig

hcraig Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Dalem. I'm leaning in that direction again. :)

Thanks for the tip Michael. Appreciate a cPanel staff member responding.

cPanelMichael likes this.