The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED Add mx records for subdomains in the new interface

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Andrew Feeney, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Andrew Feeney

Andrew Feeney Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I need to add MX records for a subdomain to configure Mailgun. This can be done in the 'Advanced Zone Editor' and the 'MX Entry' features of Cpanel 11.

In CPanel 11, a message shows up in both 'Advanced Zone Editor' and 'MX Entry' showing that this feature is deprecated and will be removed in future release. We are told instead to use the new 'Zone Editor' feature.

However, 'Zone Editor' does not seem to allow setting an MX record for a subdomain, only root domains. How will it be possible to do this once these features are removed?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. Andrew Feeney

Andrew Feeney Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for that, I read the post you linked. It doesn't specifically address my question, but I gather that any missing advanced features, such as the ability to set mx records for subdomains, will be added to the "Zone Editor" in the changeover?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The settings are still there right now, enable them on the features list. :)

5. MediaServe

MediaServe Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I can confirm that with the advanced dns zone editor enabled in the feature list, you are still unable to create an MX record for a subdomain in the new Zone Editor, so it's NOT just a matter of enabling the features.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @MediaServe,

I do see your point, in that the "MX Entry" option allows the modification of the MX record for a subdomain listed in the drop-down box. With the "Zone Editor" feature, it only lists addon domain names and aliases (domain names with their own separate zone files).

As I understand, you should utilize a separate DNS zone (by adding the subdomain as an Addon domain) if you want a subdomain name to have it's own separate MX record (different from the primary domain name).

Thank you.

7. MediaServe

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The situation right now is that, unlike before, there is apparently NO MX record created when a subdomain is created, and yet the cPanel user can go to Email Accounts and create email accounts for the subdomain that will never work because there is no MX record. Not very user-friendly at all.

This seems to me a confusing and radical departure from the way it previously worked. I mean, if you are going to provide the ability to create a subdomain separately from an addon domain, people are going to continue to use it, and if they want to use email accounts on the subdomain, they are going to be confused and frustrated when the MX Entry page gets fully removed and they can no longer do this in the zone editor.

To be consistent and user-friendly, if you are going to require a separate zone to all a MX record to be created, then the subdomain creator should create the subdomain with it's own zone file to begin with (and also create the default MX record as it did previously.)

8. MediaServe

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I would also like to question part of your response:

I see two issues of confusion with the above choice of words:

1. One might assume that you mean a default MX record matching the zone's primary MX record is created when a subdomain is created within the same zone, but that is not the case.

2. One might assume you are implying that a subdomain in the same zone can receive email via the zone's primary MX record, but that is also not the case. A MX record specifically for the subdomain must be created, or it won't receive email from external sources. There is no MX inheritance by which a sending mail server will look up the primary zone MX if one specific to a subdomain is not found when handling an email specifically to a subdomain.

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @MediaServe,

Internal case CPANEL-11935 is open with our Development team to report this issue, and note the change in the functionality offered in the MX Entry option compared to what's offered in the Zone Editor feature. I'll update this thread with more information on the status of this case as it becomes available.

Thank you.

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @MediaServe,

This functionality is now offered in cPanel version 64:

Fixed case CPANEL-11935: Zone Editor: allow users to add MX records for their subdomains.

It's now possible to browse to "cPanel >> Zone Editor >> Manage >> Add Record >> Add MX Record" and replace the "name" field with the subdomain name instead of the parent domain name.

Thank you.

#10 cPanelMichael, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017