The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add-on domain limit?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bhd, Mar 11, 2011.

1. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Add-on domain (safe) limit?

We have one customer with 950 odd add-on domains. I noticed he purchased some 60 new domains in the week, so the likelihood is by Monday he will be pushing 1,010+.

For us it's a first so I'm in unknown territory here. Has anyone ever had a customer with so many add-on domains? and if so, is there anything to look out for?

#1 bhd, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There isn't a limit to the actual number of addon domains from a cPanel stance. I doubt that anyone already with 950 addon domains will show much difference in adding another 60 more over what is already happening on the account. Obviously, the more domains on an account, the greater likelihood that email accounts could be used in some manner that isn't ideal (such as spoofing, phishing, spamming). Beyond that, you have disk space and bandwidth quotas for a concern.

3. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the reply. You have confirmed my own assumption. All his default email is set to :fail: and I don't think he has mail setup on more than 5 or 6 anyway, so that's (fortunately) not a problem.

4. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For anyone else in the same situation, you may want to take note of a few things I learned the hard way yesterday while transferring the above account (see post #1) to a new server:

Checking Express Copy for a site with so many domains is a disaster. The way cPanel redirects DNS on the old server is one domain at a time (From what I can see it's a bit more than that: it updates all 1,000 domains on the remote server + 1 on the local server, then 1,000 all on the remote server + 1 on the local server .. and so on. [That's what it looked like from monitoring time stamps in /var/named on both]. Each iteration takes about 1 1/2 minutes. Multiply that by 1,000 + sub-domains and you have a few days).

To make matters worse, it prints everythign to the browser. Mine crashed (firefox4) when the HTML got to about 3GB.

Long story short, after 12 hours of maxing out both our nameservers, and generating 3G HTML in the browser, I aborted the copy and redid it without Express Copy UN-checked.... Even then, adding the domain and sub-domains took over 4 hours on the new server. (The actual account, mail and MySQL took only 6 minutes)

The moral of the story is the account Migrate/move feature works great on "regular" cPanel accounts provided they don't have hundreds (or 1,000 in this case) domains.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'd be interested to see how it goes if you ran the commands via command line for packaging and restore using "/scripts/pkgacct username" on the old machine, then "/scripts/restorepkg username" on the new machine simply as a comparison.

6. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Very familiar /scripts/pkgacct as we've been using it for years as the backbone of our own backup script which does the job very well. No problems there with the backup. That part went fine.

To be honest, I never even considered doing the restore from command line. It was only when it went all sideways that I FTP'd the backup across and then used WHM to restore it. In hindsight, it probably would have worked a lot faster (and not crashed the browser) had I thought of that at the time.

At least I know for next time :)