The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

add-on domain problem - adding domains that exist on other servers before migration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scottyman, Nov 12, 2005.

1. scottyman

scottyman Registered

hi guys -
    my new hosts seem to be a bit bemused by what I'm trying to do... want to set up my domains and test them with locally modified hosts entries to ensure migration of sites go well, and preferably without a hitch.

I'm trying to pre-populate 3 add-on domains in cpanel 10, before changing A records to point at the new server.
    Unfortunately Cpanel has had an attack of the clevers, and says (quite rightly) - sorry, can't do this, this server isn't authorative for these domain names:

or

surely there's an option to override this, alternatively, I'm going to have to get them to edit the httpd.conf manually to add the vhosts, but how do I reflect this in Cpanel -

there's a file in .cpanel-datastore called apache_LISTMULTIPARKED_0 formatted as

Code:
    pst0[3x NULLS]1234[series of NULLS]
    !/home/myhomedir/public_html/parked domain[2x tabs][3x NULLS]example.com[4x nulls]subdomain.example.comanyone familiar with these at all?
    Scotty

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Your host needs to enable the option WHM > Tweak Settings > Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers, while those domains are added afterwhich they can disable the option.

3. scottyman

scottyman Registered

oh brilliant - thank you for the info -
    I'll try and get them to sort this over the weekend.

many thanks, and feel free to close the thread.

scotty

4. scottyman

scottyman Registered

sod it all...

okay...
    after they've made that change in whm - they must've changed something else in my account... not answering e-mail all day which is a nightmare.
    cpanel is now responding - "no website configured at this address" for the main hostname - which is really very irritating, esp. as their dns resolves to that server and the /~username redirect works correctly.

garrgh.

think I might have to reconsider my host choice.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That would suggest a problem with your accounts entries in the apache web server configuration. Either a path is wrong or the IP address is wrong. Or, more worryingly, the DNS has been modified to point to the wrong place.

I hope you can get it sorted out. What you're wanting to do is completely standard cPanel fare and shouldn't really have any problems.