The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add On Domain Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by modpluz, Aug 31, 2006.

1. modpluz

modpluz Registered

hi guyz,

i'm using cPanel and i have this feature called addon domain.
    what it does(for those who don't know) is that, you give a it a website address and also provide a directory where it should redirect to, but of course the domain must have been registered and the name servers must point to the domain it should redirect to.

this is my question;

when i say for instance addon-site.com should redirect to mainsite.com/addon and when i go to addon-site.com, it shows mainsite.com/addon in the address bar.

is there a way that i can make it not to show mainsite.com/addon in the address bar and show addon-site.com instead?

#1 modpluz, Aug 31, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  2. jrozycki

jrozycki Member

I am new to cpanel. I am in the process of going from DirectAdmin to CPanel. I have a client with 2 domains.

Sounds like I would want to give my client two accounts, each with one domain.

I do not think he would like it if I gave him one account with 1 domain and 1 addon domain and the addon domain showed his other domain in the address bar.

Does this make sense? One problem I can see is disk resources are wasted??

Jeff

3. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Addon sites are simply regular domains that share an existing cpanel account resource's and settings for a single user so its easier to manage and more economical.

When you visit the addon site, there should be no visible difference in fucntionality or appearance in the address bar. If you see it via maindomain.com/addon then you may be setup as a subdomain redirector instead of an addon.

I would suggest fully removing the addon domain and its subfolder in the main domains public_html folder and recreate it.

you should not have to setup redirection of any sort.