The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add-on domains not available in Mail section

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by shacker23, Aug 26, 2005.

1. shacker23

shacker23 Well-Known Member

OK, here's a weird one. A customer set up an add-on domain, and it works fine via apache -- both his main and add-on domain work properly. But when he goes to add email addresses for the add-on domain, it doesn't appear in the picklist, so he can't add any.

I have other customers with add-on domains and they work fine for both http and mail.

Any idea what went wrong here or how to fix?

Thanks,
    Scot

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Odd. I'm not sure where it picks the info up from, but as a start you could try running:

/scripts/updateuserdomains
    /scripts/mailperm

3. shacker23

Thanks Chirpy - Just ran those two scripts, but unfortunately it did not do the trick. Problem remains.

So, thought I would try to fix this by removing the add-on domain and re-adding it. The user actually had three add-on domains, with the .org, .net, and .com variants of the domain. When I try to remove any of them, I get the message:

"Syncing Ftp Databases....Done Sorry, you do not control the domain somedomain.net
    Sorry, the subdomain somedomain cannot be removed because it is linked to the addon domain somedomain.org. You must first remove the addon domain. "

But none of them can be removed - I get the same error when trying to remove any of the three. What can I try next?

Thanks,
    Scot

4. shacker23

Uh oh - Running these scripts seems to have messed up SMTP somehow. Sending mail clients now get various errors. When sending through webmail I get:

Service not available, closing channel
    Server replied: 421 Unexpected failure, please try later

(this is with all users, not just the affected user).

I've restarted exim multiple times and have even restarted the server. Is there any way to undo what these scripts have done? Any idea where to look for clues on this problem?

Thanks.

5. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  6. shacker23

Turns out there were two separate issues here.

The reason the customer could not add mailboxes on add-on domains was that he had attempted to create the add-on domains before DNS was in place for them, which had confused cPanel. I was able to fix this by removing them from httpd.conf (I'm hoping cPanel doesn't also store this info somewhere else and will get confused in the future).

E-Mail broke because the permissions on /etc/localdomains and /etc/remotedomains were not set to

chmod 660
    chown root:mail

I believe this happened after running a cPanel-provided script, but am now not positive, as I did edit /etc/localdomains by hand at one point after making a backup copy -- I may have inadvertently left the permissions set incorrectly on the copy of localdomains, so this one might be my fault.