The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add-on/Sub Domains redirecting incorrectly..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by damainman, Jan 18, 2004.

1. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

Okay here is the problem i'm getting. When a client of mine creates a add-on domain it ends up redirecting to my website instead of theres. The same problem is happening to the subdomains.

For example a user creates a add-on domain(addon.com) and makes it redirect to clientsite.com/addon ... It doesn't work. You u go to addon.com, and it redirects to myhost.com instead of clientsite.com/addon .... Besides that.. the subdomains which are automatically created when u add-on a domain also redirect wrongly to my myhost.com...

Basically here how everything is redirecting:

addon.client.com --> myhost.com
    addon.com --> myhost.com
    anything.client.com --> myhost.com

Here is how its suppose to redirect:

addon.client.com --> client.com/addon
    addon.com --> client.com/addon

Server Specs:
    WHM 8.6.0 cPanel 8.6.0-R15
    RedHat Enterprise 3 - WHM X v2.1.1
    APACHE: 1.3.29 (Unix)
    Nameservers ver: 9.2.2

My main site and the clients site are both using the same shared ip.

This has really got me stumped and any information would be greatly appreciated..Thank you.

#1 damainman, Jan 18, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  2. whitey

whitey Member

Yep...

I am glad you made this a sticky. There are about 20 threads in this forum regarding this problem and the solutions have not worked for me..

Personally...

I have cpanel 8.5.5 R60 on a box running RHEL 3.0

I simply cannot add add on domains in cpanel. It creates a subdomain but not an add on domain...

I have tried the trailing slash thingie, no luck.

I have the following services enabled in WHM

-Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers

-Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that are not registered

-Prevent users from parking/adding on common internet domains. (ie hotmail.com, aol.com)

One soulution was to turn add on domains off in accounts and manage ip assignments myself. But, cpanel will not let me change ip addys while an ip migration process is running, which it has been for about a week.

Right now, I am paying for a box and cannot get it up and running full speed, yet there seems to be multiple threads on these issues and no answers.

I hope that your putting a sticky up generates some sort of response - hopefully from cpanel.

3. whitey

whitey Member

damainman

I think that I found the problem in my case......

In order to allow transfer of domains, I had...

-Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers

enabled in the WHM. In order to allow the user to do this, I unwittingly set his parked domains number to 1. For some reason, this did not allow the proper creation of an add on domain...

When I set the "Max Parked Domains:" in WHM>>Account Fucntions>>Edit an Account to 0, deleted the account set up of all subdomain records related to the add on domain, deleted the dns records, all in whm.

I then went to httpd.conf to confirm their elimintion, exited httpd.conf., went back to the accounts cpanel, and created the add-on domain again...viola, the httpd.conf entry was properly created...

Prior to this, I was able to get the domain to resolve properly by changing httpd.conf manually...this post helped me alot..

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10724&highlight=add+on+domain

The reason it defaulted to you site is that it is the first virtual name server in the qeue directly abobe the add-on domain...

Anyway, hope that helps. It solved my problem..

Now, I just need help on this pesky ip migration thing that seems interminable..I was told to enable it to migrate some ips to my machine, but it seems to be an interminable process.

4. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply. I solved the problem, the thing was i have a hardware firewall.. so i have two sets of ips.. private and public... when cpanel created the add-on domains, it was creating them with the public ip.. which was causing them to go to my main website instead of my clients site... so i went in through shell and in the virtual hosts tags, i edited the sites ip.. to my private firewall ip, and this fixed the problem.

I appreciate u taking the time to reply though... it was actually from u, that i had an idea where to look lol.