Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add separate SSL just for the mail. sub domains?

Discussion in 'Security' started by WebHostPro, Mar 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. WebHostPro

WebHostPro Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi, we have a customer that wants a separate SSL cert for the mail. sub domain. As far as I can tell the mail. sub domain is created and required by cPanel for the main account so there is no place to add a separate SSL just for it.

I was wondering if there is a new option available we are missing that might allow this.

I realize you can make a sub domain it's own full cPanel account and add a SSL. I just don't think you can do this with the mail. sub domain because it's built into cPanel's account creation system.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It's possible to exclude the "mail" alias from AutoSSL using the SSL/TLS Status option in cPanel:

SSL TLS Status - Version 70 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

You'd then need to setup "mail.domain.tld" using the Subdomains option in cPanel. This generates a separate virtual host for the subdomain, which allows you to then install a separate SSL certificate for it.

Thank you.

3. WebHostPro

WebHostPro Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Interesting, so you can set up a sub domain for the "mail.domain.tld" even though it's already made by cPanel.

Perfect, thanks!