Jennifer.Cook

Feb 11, 2022
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
We have recently set up a tableau server. It can currently only be accessed by typing the IP address into the url search bar. We currently have a separate website (company.net) that is managed through A2hosting/ Cpanel. I am wanting to get a url (something like tableau.company.net) and SSL certificate on the tableau server. I tried adding the IP address for the tableau server as a DNS record in Cpanel and it didn't work. I found documentation that says you have to link the DNS from where it is currently being housed to Cpanel in order to create the subdomain in Cpanel. The issue I am running into is that our tableau server isn't being managed by anyone, so how do I connect it to Cpanel/ is it possible to connect it to cpanel?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! Is the Tableau server public? As in, the IP address you type in is a public IP address that is routable on the internet, and not a private IP address like 192.168.0.1 or 10.1.2.3?

If the IP address is public, I would expect that there is some type of webserver listening for the request. If that is the case, you'd be able to just add the subdomain for tableau.company.net to the main DNS zone for company.net so it looks like this:

tableau IN A 1.2.3.4

where "1.2.3.4" is the Tableau server's IP.

Can you try that and see if it works? Since this is a DNS change there may be a delay due to propagation before it starts responding.

Jennifer.Cook

Feb 11, 2022
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to help! The Tableau server is a public IP address. I went into the zone editor and clicked +A record and added the subdomain name and the IP address. Is this what I need to do to add the DNS zone? If this is what I need to do, how long should I wait to check if it worked?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That all sounds correct to me.

Usually DNS will take a few hours to update - it can be as long as 24 hours, but for a new record that has never existed I wouldn't expect it to be very long.

You can try pining the subdomain from your local computer - once that resolves you can try it in a browser and see what happens.

Jennifer.Cook

Feb 11, 2022
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I'll add it and let you know, thank you! Related to the tableau server, once it's added as a subdomain, will I be able to put the autoSSL on it or will I need something else?

quietFinn

Feb 4, 2006
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Usually DNS will take a few hours to update - it can be as long as 24 hours, but for a new record that has never existed I wouldn't expect it to be very long.
When you ADD a record to a DNS Zone (a record that didn't exists before) it usually works almost immediately

Reactions: cPRex

quietFinn

Feb 4, 2006
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Have you checked that tableau.company.net resolves to the correct IP?
In Windows Command Prompt do:
nslookup tableau.company.net

If it resolves correctly then it's probably browser cache issue.

Reactions: cPRex