The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add user to access incremental backups

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by ruiz, Mar 13, 2014.

1. ruiz

ruiz Active Member

Hi there,

I'm in a bit of trouble here. All my servers use the incremental backup system on cpanel to backup to a NFS share on another server, used only for that. This is all working without problems, however now i need to give access to the backupd data to a co-worker, so he can manually get data from the backup as needed.

Problem is, i couldn't find a way to give him access to these files! I tried creating a new linux user with the group "nobody", since thats the owner of the files created by the backup, but i still couldn't read then(they are readable by the group). Right now the only user that can read then is root, and i can't give him root access.

I also tried adding to the group "root" however i still couldn't read then.

Is there a way to do it? Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Root access is required to access those files if they are owned by the "root" user as far as I know. Note that you may receive more input on this issue on the CentOS forums as this is more so an issue with the filesystem as opposed to an issue with cPanel/WHM.

Thank you.